walterwood44

Update for 8.04 Crashed and Uninstalled TMG Completely

When I opened TMG today, I was presented with the option to update to 8.04. I said OK and the install asked a few questions and started to work as expected. After a few minutes I got an notice that there was a problem and that the update would need to remove the update files. I click OK but nothing happened that I could observe. After a number of minutes and clicking again, I had to force the install program to End.

I rebooted my computer just in case and tried to run TMG again but found that the icon on the desktop and start menu were gone. Apparently what the update did was remove TMG 8 program files and icons completely rather than just the update files. MAJOR FAIL!!

AVOID THIS UPDATE UNTIL THINGS ARE FIXED.

I guess I have to reinstall.

Walter Wood

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit Intel Core i3 with 8 GB RAM

Walter -

My update to v8.04 went smoothly with no problems. Win7 Pro x64.

Please read the pinned message 'Re-Installing TMG8' at the top of this v8 forum for specific instructions on re-installing v8.

Virginia

Virtuall the same happened to me as did to Walter.

The offered update v8.04 downloaded, closed TMG and started to install.

After a few minutes a message flashed on the screen indicating the install had failed and to try again later.

I went to open TMG but no icon. TMG is not seen going via the START program.

When I looked under Control Panel/Programs and Features there was no TMG file.

Do I need to follow the reinstall instructions pinned above or can I use my original CD (V8.0) and unlock code then run the update to V8.04?

I am in the UK using Win 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit

Tom Gray

I had already reinstalled before getting your message. I had checked the Program FilesTMG folder and found it empty except for one log file under a folder called PDF . Everything seems to be working OK now but I have not been presented with the update yet.

When I ran the update it did open the WIndows permission dialog which I OK'ed. It went through several dialog boxes then an installer dialog. That appeared to run normally but another a dialog box opened saying there was an error. (I should have made a screen shot but did not.) I clicked OK on that dialog and it appeared to be rolling back the update but then simply hang. This left two dialogs open: the one for the install and the one declaring there was an error. I waited several minutes for these to respond but then had to force close both of them using the Task Manager. After I rebooted, I noticed that the icons were missing and I found the program files gone.

Walter

Tom -

You should follow the instructions in the pinned message to remove all remnants of the earlier installation. You can then download the trial version (always the current version) and enter your registration information.

Virginia

I should have noted that I did not have to reboot or reenter my serial number or any of my custom Preferences after the reinstall. I did reboot however out of caution.

Walter

Walter -

The update problem occurs because of a remnant left over from the last installation. If you are not having any problems now in v8 and everything appears to be normal, I don't see a need to uninstall again. If you run into a problem with the next update, then you will want to follow the instructions above for re-installing onto a clean slate. Note that at no time are your projects or other user data at risk. The installer does not affect those files.

Virginia

Here we go again. I have tried installing the TMG v8.04 update using both the TMG “look for update” and downloading the demo version from the website. When I tried installing through the program the first time, it showed “Wrong file size” as I recall and on subsequent attempts it hung on the “Install” button. There was a tmginstall.log created when I tried installing the demo version which I can forward if it will do anybody any good.

I guess I was lucky. My Version 8.02 appears to still work and wasn't deleted. The uninstall information in the Control Panel was deleted.

I am going to have to try and remember what I did with 8.02 and go through that again? I will read the pinned message 'Re-Installing TMG8' at the top of this v8 forum for specific instructions on re-installing v8. This is not a good sign -- the same problem in 2 updates in a row.

Success. The 8.04 is now installed and working. I did not have to reenter my serial number. Why did the old 8.02 installation leave remanants?

Edited by BigTem

I have had exactly the same problem. Accepted the update to 8.04 which failed and left me without any TMG. I have followed all of the instructions in the pinned entry to the letter a number of times with no success.

This installer is clearly written very badly. I would not accept such shoddy work from my team who build installers for a living. Where can I find an 8.02 installer to put back so that I can get a working copy of TMG?

I am on XP and have had a somewhat similar experience.

1. Ran the in-program check for update and tried updating from 8.02 to 8.04.
  2. I too got the error message near the end of the upgrade and it rolled back but at least it left me with a working 8.02 still.
  3. Further attempts at an update runs the installer but when I select the "Install" button from within it nothing happens. Only the Cancel option will do anything.
  4. Then I tried to deinstall totally to enable me to do a clean install but...I no longer have TMG listed in "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel.

So I am now stuck with 8.02 - unable to upgrade and unable to de-install.

I'm sure if I fiddled enough I could work out what program folders to delete and remove all references to TMG from the registry but I have logged in the hope that support can give me the definitive list to save me a lot of time and heartache!

Edited by AndyMD

I had this problem with the last update, followed all the instructions to fix and reinstall multiple times and could never get the update to work. I messed with it for a week. I finally did a fresh install of 8.00 so I can work with my data and stopped there. The updates are not worth the hassle. I hoped this new update would fix the problems with the last but see that is not the case. Looks like I'll skip this update too. Maybe WG will get their act together with the next one. I'm loosing confidence in the company with each interation and there are lots of alternatives.

I had this problem with 8.03 and 8.04 on Win7 64 bit. I am learning about clean out of files and folders and cleaning of the registry and trying again. Without any attempt to be offensive, I want to express the hope and expectation that WG will make an effort to improve the installer/uninstaller so we can get right on with using program upgrades when they are made available instead of these geeky side issues.. Thank you WG. Jim Cave

Jim -

If Check for an Update is a problem on your computer, you can update by uninstalling the old version from the Control Panel / Uninstall a program and installing the trial version (current version) from the WG site. You may have to reenter your registration information though I did not have to in Win7 x64. Your three Data File Storage folders are not affected by the uninstall/install, but it is of course a good idea to back up first.

Virginia

Can somebody please explain what is meant by a pinned topic. I too had 8.04 crash and uninstall from my system. Before I reload, I want to make sure all remnants are removed, but I can't seem to locate the topic everyone keeps saying is pinned to the top of this forum.

Where do I go on the Wholly Genes website to find "the trial version (current version) from the WG site"? for version 8.

I downloaded it when I bought it, but it seems to now be corrupted. I'd like to download Version 8 again and start over.

I have encountered the same problem of trying to install v8.04, then the installer erased my v8.0 and could not install v8.04. At control panel, I performed the Uninstall of TMG 8. I have looked everywhere that I can think for additional TMG 8 files. The TMG 8 downloads to the computer fine but when I hit Install in the TMG 8 installer there is no action. I must "Cancel" my install. My laptop is Windows 7, 64 bit. This is the only program that I have ever had this much problem with. Prior to submitting my problem, I read and tried all of above solutions. Any other hints. TMG 8 installed properly on my desktop.

Paul -

Once every remnant of the earlier installation has been removed, it should install. Were you able to locate and delete all the v8 vestiges (including the Virtual Store location) referenced in the pinned message 'Re-installing TMG8' at the top of this forum?. To see some of the files you will need to have Windows Explorer configured to show hidden files and folders.

Virginia

This morning I experienced the crash of the 8.04 upgrade on a 64-bit Win 7 system, after (in TMG 8 > Help > Check for Updates) I simply clicked for it to install. I followed Jim Byram's instructions on the pinned message at the top of this forum, cleared all the files and directories as he described, and downloaded the latest setup file. When it was on my Win 7 desktop, I right-clicked and chose "run as administrator", and when it asked whether it was for one user or everyone, I chose everyone. It installed completely, and after I restored my database and beat on it awhile, including exporting the entire database as a GEDCOM and finding no errors, I'm convinced that it is fine. Thanks for the tips!

Edited by Don Boyd