Coehtx

TMG v8 install does not work

Same situation for me as the initial post running tmg8setup.exe. I did everything here including following Jim Byram's topic "Re-Installing TMG8" except clean out the registry because I don't know how to do that. I no longer have TMG installed due to uninstalling everything. I will call Support on Monday unless I hear a solution over the weekend.

I also had this problem - with Windows 7 64 bit. I'd get to the install button and click on it and nothing would happen. I was upgrading from TMG 8.02 to 8.04. I followed the instructions on the pinned post at the top of the support forum for TMG 8 - but it had no affect. I emailed TMG support - no reponse after a week.

What finally made this work was to go through the registry (not a friendly option for the ordinary user) and delete every entry that had anything to do with Wholly Genes or The Master Genealogist.

So far I have not had a good install since the upgrade to version 8.

Definately a different experience than I have had with all of ther versions of TMG I have used in the past. I hope this isn't a sign of bad things. It's been a great program.

If the update in place (Check for an Update) fails, you can update by reinstalling TMG using the current version. This method uses System Restore after a failed update and relies on being able to successfully uninstall the earlier version from the Control Panel / Uninstall a Program (I had no problem there).

1 - Select the Restore point before the failed update.

2 - Uninstall TMG v8 from the Control Panel / Uninstall a program.

3 - Download and install the free trial version (always the current version, v8.04 at this time) from the WG web site.

You may have to reenter your registration information (I did not have to in Win7). Your three Data File Storage folders are not affected by uninstalling and reinstalling the program.

Virginia

(Win7 x64)

I finally succesfully installed v8.04. I followed instructions again per Jim Byram on Re-installing TMG 8. The folder for C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installer was still there, so I deleted. There might have been one other remnant folder which I deleted as well. I also did a hard reboot and rechecked that all the remnant folders were still gone. I ran the install program and everything went smoothly. I had to re-enter my name/E-mail/serial number. All good.

I did not have to go into the registry. I have Windows 7.

Good luck everyone else.