sis1of4ch

Journal Report Save problems

Just upgraded to V8, I am running Windows7 64 bit and MS Office 2010, which is why I had to upgrade from v7. I am having trouble creating a Journal Report. If I create a report for just one small family (20 persons) I can produce the report with exhibits, edit the report and save it. If I try and create a report with a little larger group (90) persons, I can produce the report but only about the first 2/3 of the exhibits display, the rest are just empty boxes and even though I can edit the report I cannot save the changes. I get the following messages:

The network or path where you are trying to dave this document is unavailable. What do you want to do?

Retry Save As or Cancel

Have tried all three options, with Cancel I get the option to Not Save Changes and that is the only option I can use.

Have double checked the path, even gotten out of TMG and gone into the report through Word and still all the exhibits are not displaying and I cannot save the file. Oh, have also checked Properties to make sure it is not checked read-only.

Know I must be doing something wrong, hope someone can help me.

I am saving with the .doc extension,and saving to TMG report_output folder. I have also noticed that it is saving in Word 97 to 2003 not 2010. I have tried saving to other folders and have tried moving it from one folder to another but still cannot save. Am working on trying some other options right now. Have not had any other problems with working with Word documents from other programs.

I have not tried to use the mode convert will see if I can use that. I did just try and clear out my report_output file and backup and remove some picture files to make sure I had plenty of room. Then I ran the Journal Report again and got the following message:

Could Not open a system configuration file, the Raw ISC file has been saved. Please send to technical support. This is a TMG message. should I look into the mode convert before I send the log message to tech support?

Edited by sis1of4ch

I do not think it is a problem with not having enough space in your report_output folder Go ahead and send the .isc file to tech support, but also try the Mode Convert. How many pages are there in the Journal Report Word document for 90 people with exhibits?

Virginia

I still have not found how to use Mode/convert. This small file I am using to create the test report only has 90 people and is 100 pages long. Last year with v7 I created my report for my book and it contained almost 6,000 people and was about 1100 pages long and had over 500 exhibits so know that this little report should work, it is just frustrating me.

The Compatibility Mode is on the File menu.

CompatibilityMode.jpg

I usually convert my TMG Word documents - but I don't do such large reports. There may be something in the .isc file that will pinpoint the problem.

Virginia

Ok, I am waiting to hear back from Technical Support. I have tried to create various reports including Ahnentafel, Journal and Individual Narrative. Outputting to PDF, Word, and screen preview, every instance I get a TMG error message that states:

Conversion Error #5 Could not open a system Configuration file.

The ISC file has been saved to .......v8logserror.ICS.

Has anyone else had this problem, it apparently is not from Microsoft Word since it happens with screen preview also.

Tried the compatibility mode and several other suggested fixes. Finally un-installed v8 and re-installed from a cd. I am still having the same problem, not all of the exhibits will display (they show up as little empty boxes). If creating a full Journal report (using the entire database) there should be about 400 exhibits, but it will only display about the 1st 100 or so and then the rest show as empty boxes. If I break the report down by families and run a smaller version then the same exhibits that would not print on the larger report print on the smaller one. This tells me there is nothing wrong with my exhibits that there is some kind of a glitch that will only allow me to use so many exhibits and then it stops. I have been trying to solve this problem since May, I really would like to get this book published, but cannot do anything until I can use all the exhibits. Oh one other thing, if I create the full report and try and save it, I get the following error "The network path where you are trying to save this document is unavailable" I am saving to Report_output in TMG v8. I do not have this problem if I run the smaller report. Please Help!

>> "The network path where you are trying to save this document is unavailable" I am saving to Report_output in TMG v8. I do not have this problem if I run the smaller report. Please Help!

First, in what directory (the full path, please) are your TMG files located? Are they on your main hard drive?

Second, to what directory are you attempting to save your report once it is in Word? There are some directories which Windows 7 disallows for user file writes.

Those answers may help to see what the problem is.

Robert

Have discovered the answer to my problem. Took my Journal Report to my sister's house and she opened it on her MAC and low and behold ALL the exhibits displayed, where I was only getting little empty boxes, the actual exhibits displayed. We created a PDF file from the Word Document and I can see them on my PC. This does not solve my problem though just lets me know that it is not a TMG problem but a MS Word problem because the maximum size of file for a Word document in MS Word 2010 is 512 MB, my file is 630 MB. The last book I produced back in 2008 was 810 MB, but then I was using Word 2000, so Microsoft has lowered the size of Word file you can create. I have not decided how I am going to get around this problem, I have made sure all my exhibits are JPEG and all are saved as 200 DPI or less. Thanks everyone for trying to help, but guess I need to go out to the Word forum now and bug them.