LauraKirbyson

Excluding 'married-ins' from Descendant Chart

Hi,

I wantto prepare a report that includes only members of the blood line (i.e. no spouses). How do I exclude the spouses from a Descendant Box Chart? (I am currently using v 6.12).

Thanks so much!

Laura -

I don't know an easy way to do it in v6.12. You can simply delete the spouses' names and info but leave the boxes so you still have connector lines - or delete the spouse boxes entirely and reconnect the lines.

In v7 and v8 you have a couple more options. I was able set a flag for the patrilineal descendants of John Alexander, and in VCF had the option to include only people with that flag. The spouse boxes show 'Unknown person' but I manually deleted that text and left the box. A very simple chart looks like this:

PatrilinealDescAlexander.jpg

Virginia

I think I've found another (more elegant) way - hurray! I can create a focus group that excludes spouses, export it and import it to a new project and work from that. The down side is that if the information gets updated, I'll have to re-do everything, but I still think it's a better option...

Laura -

You will still get empty boxes for the spouses with the 'unknown person' text in the box charts. On the Data Types tab in chart options is a field where you can enter alternate text for 'unknown person'. Leaving that field blank will give you 'unknown'. You could enter simply a period (.) or hyphen (-) as less obtrusive.

Or for a very simple chart with no data you can easily delete the spouses and reconnect the lines. It took me a little over 2 minutes to edit the chart in my example above (see video here) by selecting boxes (deleting spouse boxes) and rearranging it all using the arrow keys.

Virginia