Sign in to follow this  
PiercysEtc

TMG8 DOC reports crash in Open Office

Outside TMG I have been happily using Open Office for a few years now and am now on OO v3.3. I have now installed TMG8 with its capability of producing reports in Win7 64-bit and started preparing printed reports again. Some DOC reports open OK in OO Writer 3.3, some crash OO. I don't remember having had DOC files crash OO before.

If I take the DOC reports that have crashed in OO round to a neighbour and open them in Word 2002 and then save them again they now open OK in OO.

I could go through all TMG's possible permutations of report and configurations to find just what combinations work and what don't. Of course it would always be quicker to take them round to my neighbour but there is a limit to how much one can take advantage of a neighbour's kindness <g>. Or I could fork out for MS Office, which means going up the MS Word learning curve all over again when I am now comfortable with OO. OO has been very effective and stable with all files except for some of TMG's DOC reports.

Has anyone else had the same problem? Better still, has anyone got a solution?

Edited by PiercysEtc

Hi Jim

Don't you ever sleep? I can only admire your amazing energy!

Thanks for the RTF suggestion. It's an interesting work-round. PDF format is another option, as may be WordPerfect when it arrives.

I had thought that DOC format was the only one at present that links to exhibits, as my default app to read RTF files was Wordpad. However, I've tried opening RTF files with OO and, apart from some minor formatting issues, it seems to import exhibits, indices and footnotes perfectly well. Seems that the problem was with Wordpad, not RTF - I should have tried OO and RTF earlier.

Hey-ho, that's one more one hurdle successfully cleared, even if it only a work-round. Thanks Jim!

Edited by PiercysEtc

I am running MS Word 2010 and also having a problem with reports crashing. No matter what type of report I try I get a TMG Error Message: Conversion Error # 5 could not open system configuration file. The next message says that the raw IC file has been saved in the log folder and to send it to Technical support, I am working with someone at technical support but so far no luck. Are you getting the same type of error?