Judi

Sureties not showing in Name Box

I recently resized my screen to use as a half screen display. I have been able to include sureties for tags in the lower section but I cannot resize the surety column for Name, Father, and Mother section. I can resize the Type and Name columns but not the Surety column. Only three dots show and the surety does not. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Judi

Thanks. I tried that but it doesn't work. I can't get the resizing arrow to appear on the right side of the column. I even tried removing all the other windows and dragging the Details section across my screen until I could see the securities. But I still couldn't get the resizing arrow to show on the surety column. It works fine in the lower section where I add tags. Yet it works in your video. I'm using Gold 8.04.

Sureties didn't show for me in the name box also.

Note that Virginia has horizontal and vertical times turned on.

It worked for me like this.

In Preferences, turn on horizontal and vertical lines on the Lists tab and then Sureties on the Tag Box tab. Now sureties show in the name box.

Arrange things. Then you can turn the horizontal and vertical lines off and the sureties continue to display.

%%%%%%%%%%

When I turned Sureties off, they continues to display in the name box. I had to go to Preferences and turn Sureties on and click [Apply] and then turn Sureties off and click [Apply] to kill them. I reloaded my layout with no Sureties and the space for Sureties remained although it should not have.

There are some bugs in regard to the name box affecting column widths and surety column display. There is a mix of what is controlled by the program (preferences) code and by the layout code.

Thanks Jim. I always keep my lines on and my sureties showing. What I am trying to do is resize the sureties column in the Name Box. I cannot get the resize arrow to show no matter if the Details box is maximized or not. The sureties show if box is maximized but not when minimized. The resize arrow seems to work in every column but the Name Box. It works for Virginia in her video on the Sample project so I tried my Sample project and it doesn't work for me there either.

Judi

Judi -

If the sureties show when the Details window is maximized, instead of minimizing it, try dragging a corner of that window to resize it smaller. Do the sureties show then? What minimum and maximum font size are you using in Preferences / Lists?

Virginia

Virginia,

Thanks, Tried your suggestion but the surety column shrinks as the window does. I guess I am just trying to make the window too narrow. But there is so much extra space in the name column that I was hoping to resize the surety column so the name surety would show. I mainly need it for the relationship surety of child to parents. Nothing I have tried enables me to resize that column. In Preference->List I have both fonts set at 8. I tried changing those also.

Judi

Hi Judi,

I don't often use Sureties myself so had to try this and you are right, the Name surety column itself grows and shrinks with the size of the entire Details subwindow. You can resize the Name column to the left of the Sureties, but not the Sureties column itself. Only when the Details subwindow itself is full width is the Sureties column wide enough to see all five values. And with my font set to 10 even those values are a bit too big to fit, but they do completely show with your font size of 8. I think being able to separately size the Sureties column is a valid wish for enhancement.

Does your layout have some other subwindows to the left and/or right of the Details subwindow, thus keeping it from being full width? If you need to see these values I think you will have to create and save a custom layout where you rearrange the various subwindows so that the Details subwindow can be full width. Sorry, but I can't seem to find any other work around.

Thanks Michael. Yes, I am trying to create a half screen layout using four windows on my widescreen monitor so I can have Ancestry.com on the other half. It was cheaper than buying a second monitor. :holiday:

Judi

Okay, makes sense. Looks like you will need to split the window into halves of Top and Bottom, where each half is full width to be able to see everything you want. Seems a shame with a "wide" screen monitor, but... :sad:

Don't know what else you want to do with your monitor, but some widescreen monitors allow a custom setting of rotated so that they are "tall" instead of "wide". That may be option for your monitor and give you another possibility to think about.

I don't think that will matter, Virginia. I believe TMG asks the operating system what the full width of the monitor is, and thus this Surety column will only be full width when the Details subwindow itself is full width. At least that seems to be what Judi is reporting seeing.

Michael -

I was thinking about possible layouts and ways she could save space in a layout to fit on half her monitor - for example include Children in the Details view and use a custom toolbar (mine has about 50 items on it). I haven't tried top and bottom layouts but that might be even better. The layout below takes up less than half my 22" wide monitor at a resolution of 1024x768.

Virginia

SmallLayout.jpg

Virginia, I'm using a 23 in. widescreen with Details, Children, Siblings, and Flags windows open.

Michael, I rearranged as you suggested. Why didn't I think of that? :notworthy: With the Details window on top and the other three underneath, I was able to get the sureties to show. Thanks. I would still like to have the option to resize the surety column in the Name box since there is plenty of room to do so. That would mean less scrolling in the Details window. So far, I have been able to resize every other column. Maybe a fix in the next upgrade??

Looks like you both came up with a solution. Consider me grateful. And a big thanks for monitoring this Forum.

Judi