LauraKirbyson

Why do I have so many blank pages in vcf?

I've been trying to develop an over-sized chart. In reading the support forums, I've got a wealth of extremely valuable information - thank you for that!!

When I create a descendant box chart, I keep getting large numbers of blank pages. I have just (yesterday) upgraded to v8 but I had the same problem with v6.

I've followed the forum suggestions for defaulting to my pdf writer and creating the larger paper size there and the using the Tools - Diagrams - Diagram Measurements to adjust. It works like a treat. It left me with the original spacing, including all those blank pages, so I tried to repaginate, as well as trying to resize. It looks like that put me right back to letter-sized pages.

Suggestions? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Laura

Laura,

When you say there are a lot of blank pages, you mean entirely blank? Is there anything obvious about pages that are above or below a blank page that gives you a clue as to why the page is blank?

Remember that when using a small page size (say Letter), VCF outputs the full rectangle of pages (including blanks) when it prints that chart - there is no option to avoid printing blank pages.

Robin

Thank you very much Virginia and Robin!

Virginia, the description of what's happening with my chart appears to be the same as the thread you provided. I'm going to look into that right now.

Robin, I don't get a rectangle of pages, it's one portrait page laid out sideways to 138 pages. Very strange.

I'm currently working with a pdf printer to get a different paper size and it looks like I'll need to drag the boxes around to get it into a more squared format.

Thanks again to both of you, this is really helpful and very encouraging to know that there are people out there :)

Laura

Laura

If you haven't already taken a look at the instructions I posted a few weeks ago: Printing Large Charts to .pdf you might want to check them out. If you are using Vista or Win 7 the key to getting the .pdf printer setup is doing it before you start TMG and make the chart.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=14684&view=findpost&p=59391

Hi Glenn,

I did find that on the site before I posted the question and it has been hugely valuable. I'm still fussing with the vcf but setting the pdf size has made all the difference. At least I can see that it will work.

Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Laura