Sign in to follow this  
Rob Roy

To the Cloud

I've been looking for a method where two or more genealogists from my family association can collaborate on the tree. Currently, I maintain and add to it via TMG. There is nothing better! I urge that TMG 9 be a cloud platform allowing multiple access.

TMG already allows multiple users to update the same project, whether from the same or different computers.

The main problem is finding somewhere which allows multiple users access to the same data folders. This is fine on local area networks, with a server involved, but "cloud" infrastructure available to the public rarely allows for this.

Business-oriented cloud solutions are more likely to provide such facilities.

I would find it useful to store my projects on a network attached storage unit, NAS.

I tried a project on my NAS and it worked but was not practical. Opening the project and doing anything took a long time. It might perform better assigning the data tree to a drive letter but I didn't check that.

For several years I have been using all my TMG projects stored and used from my first NAS. Regular backups (not TMG initiated) then copy these to my second NAS. I have not seen any performance hit. I assign the same drive letter to this partition of NAS1 on both the XP and W7 computers so that the various paths are not confused. (BTW: I use the data_paths.txt method to relocate all TMG folders to the NAS1.)

Somewhere in the TMG archives (or forum) - I have previously listed most of the issues associated with 2 or more concurrent TMG editing sessions of the same project. Basically, operations on a single tag, name, source, citations, place, repository precludes operation on that object by another computer. HOWEVER, any operation that implies global changes will not proceed in concurrent mode. That is, editing in the Master Place List, Backups, VFI, Optimise, Add a new flag, Renumber Persons, etc require exclusive access to the whole project .It will halt the session that is trying perform one of these operations until it is only thesession on that project. e.g. other uses must be terminated by their user (but there is no indicattion to the other users that this must happen!).