Sign in to follow this  
Rob Roy

Drop Box

I had an idea, and thought I would see if anyone else has tried this. Drop Box allows you to have files on your PC replecated to the cloud and to other desktops. These files can be shared with other people. If I were to put my TMG files in my drop box folder, and shared them with another family member who lives elsewhere and owns TMG, could we both work on the family data. I know we would have to ensure neigher of us accessed the files at the same time. Anyone tried this?

I have been keeping my data files, external exhibits - everything - in Dropbox for over two years with never a problem. However, you must close the TMG program at the end of a session and give Dropbox time to upload the files before you turn off the computer. Likewise, when you go to the other computer, a laptop in my case, you must give Dropbox time to download the changed files before opening the TMG program. I do the same with my Quicken program and its files. All are in folders within Dropbox (Dropbox\Quicken\Personal\ and Dropbox\Quicken\Business\).

This works great for a single user, but could be disastrous with two or more people or with one careless person. Dropbox does not do anything with the files until you close the program that is using them. Only then does it upload them to the "cloud."