Sign in to follow this  
Ray Cox

Read only mode?

Is there any way to set TMG v8 up in a read only mode? I'd like to take my laptop with my current project file to a family reunion and let them browse the family tree using the program, but I am afraid of someone getting into an editing window and changing the data. Any way to do this?

Make a backup before letting people view the data. Then it doesn't matter if it gets accidentally edited.

However, letting people view your data using TMG is basically a bad idea.

Much better... Make a website with Second Site, burn it to a CD or DVD, and let people view that. It makes a much better presentation than people viewing the data in TMG and the data is easier to view and navigate. And you'll have no concern about the data being edited.

http://www.johncardinal.com/ss/

Ray,

I agree with Jim that SecondSite is the better alternative. Further, you can easily select what does and does not get generated on the browser files.

However, if you really want to have a Read-Only version of TMG, you might? be able to use another utility available from John Cardinal, author of SecondSite, called "Mocakebi". You can find out more about it here. Its Version history currently only mentions that it is compatible with TMG Version 7. There is no indication on John's web site that he has updated Mocakebi to work with the newly released TMG Version 8.

Ray,

I totally agree with Jim and Michael. A website created with Second Site is much easier for people not familiar with genealogy programs to navigate - it offers a familiar web site environment. A quite workable site can be created in a few minutes with John Cardinal's "Six Steps" process, then loaded on your laptop for family members to browse at will.