Judi

Flag Living problem

If I use an after date for deaths [aft 1950], living flag changes to N. Is this a bug in v8?

Thanks,

Judi

No...the addition of any death tag to an individual regardless of the data in the tag indicates that the individual has deceased and the living flag is automatically change to N as it has been in all previous versions...

I learn something new every day. It's a good thing I haven't uploaded my tree because there just might be some living people who would be surprised to learn they weren't. :holiday:

Thanks.

Perhaps you might consider creating a custom tag type, named something like "Last-Record", instead of using a Death tag. The Last-Record date could be set to the last date for which you have some record that they were still alive. The sentence could still be something like:

[P] must have died after [D] [M]

Then you could cite to that tag whatever source record you have to show they were still alive on that date, with an appropriate comment in the Memo.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Judi,

I don't understand your issue. Why do you have death tags for people you suspect are still living? Or do I misunderstand what you are saying?

Michael,

I don't understand how using the Sentence you propose helps. You are still saying they are assumed to have died. If you are trying to avoid entering a death tag for someone not known to have died, doesn't the last entered tag sure that purpose?

Terry,

I think I am trying to respond to what I believe is the motivation behind Judi's original question. I believe I understand why she is doing this.

I "think" she is trying to record that she knows this person could not have died before some specific date, and thus must either still be alive today or have died "after" that date. She may not (choose to) have a specific "event" tag associated with the documentation which mentions the person, but still wish to record and make it clear to herself and in reports that they were alive (could not have died) before some date due to that documentation. At minimum that could help her from confusing this person with some earlier death record, or keep her from looking for a death prior to that date. I "think" that was why she entered the "after" Death tag. I suggested that a custom non-Death tag could accomplish what I believe is her goal of specifying an "after" date for death without otherwise entering some specific event or affecting the Living Flag.

You are still saying they are assumed to have died.

Yes, you are correct that my suggested sentence does seem to imply that, which may be appropriate based on how long ago the Date is. For more nearby dates a clearer alternative might be something like;

[P] is recorded as alive [D] but may have died after that date [M]

You might even include both these sentences in the custom tag as different roles, and choose whichever is appropriate.

This is why I love TMG. You ask what you thought was a simple question and get all kinds of new ideas. Yes Michael, that is what I was trying to do. I see now that using the Death Tag was a mistake. Using the last entered tag as mentioned by Terry would work just as well for my purposes since I record everything I find. I even record what I don't find to remind myself where I looked. Yet another reason why I love TMG. I still can't believe I never noticed it changing the Living Flag until now.

Thanks again,

Judi

Glad we could give you ideas, Judi. If you "record everything you find" then a person's last tag probably gives a reasonable "latest known alive" date.

I was thinking of cases like where you find a dated letter from Aunt Maude writing: "By the way, I thought you would be interested that I saw Jimmy Jones yesterday. Haven't seen him for quite some time." You may not want to create a tag for Jimmy that simply says he was mentioned in a letter, but this mention may give a later "latest known alive" date than any other tag event in Jimmy's life. I felt that in cases like this a custom "Last-Record" tag may be useful.