JerryAllenKilgore

Cleaning the Master Place List

After importing from UFT, I display the Master Place List for 'cleaning', as suggested by Reigel in the TMG Primer. However, there are a number of entries that are clearly not places, but comments entered into the UFT records. These items are shown without any association with a 'principal'. It appears that I have no way to associate these items to a person or principal in the collection.

Is there a way to determine which persons records contain the non-place strings so that they may be corrected or removed?

Thank you

In the Master Place List, select a "place" and click the [Events] button. That will show the event tags with the "place" linked. You can select an event tag and edit it. The "place" data probably needs to be moved to the memo field.

Unfortunately, in the case of these 'non-place strings', there are no event tags to be edited. So the question remains. How do I locate these 'orphan' places in order to correct them? By the way, Optimize did not clear any of them away.

Thanks for your reply.

Check your repositories.

Optimize removes any unlinked places. If they are not linked to Events, the only other option is that they are linked to repositories.

The Master Repository list is empty. I reviewed the Master Event List finding that the odd place strings were not shown.

If optimize removes any unlinked places, these errant 'places' must be linked to something. At this point, I am baffled.

Thanks for listening.

Jerry -

There are quite a few people on the TMG Rootsweb mailing list who have transferred their data from UFT. Search the list archives here for 'Transfer from UFT' - for example this thread discussing Places. Of particular help may be the messages in that thread from William M. Roberts. You can subscribe to the mailing list here if you want to pose your question to that group.

Virginia

As noted in TMG HELP in the topic "Optimize":

Optimizing will not remove unused place records for which a start year, end year, comment, or short place name have been recorded

I am not sure why the UFT import would create such place records, but if you have data from your UFT import that wound up in one of the above mentioned fields (probably Comment) of a place record, those records could exist in TMG and not be linked to any event or repository. So long as there is data in one of those fields, Optimize will not remove the Place Record, even if it is not linked to anything at all.

You might review the TMG HELP topic "Ultimate Family Tree Import". There are a number of options which can affect how the Places are imported. It is possible that choosing a different option and re-importing may make the most sense and prevent these unlinked Place Records from being created.