janice

No help files and accent FGS

I have been tryinging to do a FGS with accents. I have forgotten how to do it. I knowit is simple but I cannot find anything about it. So the next thing is to try Help. I do not not have any help files. I reran repair with the installer and it is still the same.

Win 7 Home Premium. TMGv8.04

Janice Cornwell

Melbourne Down UNder

Janice -

The option to use the existing screen accent is under Fonts: Honor screen Accent color conditions (just below the Surname option). The option to color the shaded areas is on the Miscellaneous tab..

Re the Help files. On the top menu in TMG, go to Help / Access Folders. Look in the Shared Program Data Folder and see if the Help file (tmg.chm or tmg.hlp) is listed there. If it is tmg.hlp you may need to download the Microsoft solution here. That is what I had to do.

Virginia

Huh? The help file is a CHM and the WinHelp hack has nothing to do with using the CHM. Delete the shared program data folder and let the program recreate it. Delete the folder, not just the contents.

"C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8"

Janice -

Probably the Help files were in fact installed (so Repair did not help) but were not copied to the shared program data folder. The first time TMG runs after it is installed it creates and populates those three Data File Storage folders - and every time you run TMG it checks to see if those folders are in place. When you delete that folder as Jim recommended TMG will recreate and repopulate it the next time you run it.

As Jim said, the TMG help files will be in the .chm format. However, the VCF help file in that same folder will be in the old .hlp file format not accessible from within VCF. Running the Microsoft solution (the link in my message) will convert that help file to the .chm format for you.

When you are in Help / Access Folders, you can rightclick on the folder path to copy it to the clipboard for pasting into Windows Explorer.

Virginia

Running the Microsoft solution (the link in my message) will convert that help file to the .chm format for you.

No. The vcf2.chm file already exists. (I made it.) By default, Win7 doesn't support .HLP files. The Microsoft hack allows .HLP files to work under Win7.

Virginia thank you. I have now accented the names. I have struck a problem printing the reports. I will start a new topic.

Jim thank you also. Before I do what you suggest I want to confirm that you mean to confirm delete the folder C:ProgramDataTheMasterGenealogistv8? There is also a The Master Genealogist v8 Installer there as well.Delete that as well?

Thanks

Janice Cornwell.

I told you specifically which folder to delete.

"C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8"

Do not delete the installer folder.

Jim I deleted the folder and I am still do not have the help files. It starts and out and looks as though things are happening and then opens on the welcome page. The only project I can open is the Sample. It has no help file either.

I am wondering if I should delete it and download the trial and hopefully everything will start OK.

Janice

Jim as it went from bad to worse I uninstalled according to your instructions and reinstalled. I still had no help files although my data was able to be viewed. I uninstalled and reinstalled again with the same result. I searched for a *.chm file and found none.

When I run TMG it flashes a screen quickly, which I think is recreating indexes. It then opens on the Welcome Screen and the only project I can open is the sample project. I can then close it and go to my project. There is no help file.

TMG v8.0 Win 7

PS I could not follow the instructions to read the help file for obvious reasons. :no:

Janice Cornwell

Down Under

I had tried both default and custom with same result. I uninstalled again and downloaded today the 30 day trial version. This time it asked me whether I wanted to modify or repair? I tried modify and it said it was installing TMG v8. The result was the same no help files.

Virginia I clicked on the Acces files and no luck.

Janice Cornwell

Down Under

Janice -

If it asked you whether to Modify or Repair, that sounds like the installer thinks v8 is already installed - that there is still some vestige of an earlier installation of v8. Were you able to find all the old v8 files that had to be deleted per Jim's link? Do you have hidden files and folders enabled in Windows Explorer?

Yes, you won't find Access Files because that is part of the Help system.

Virginia

Jim and Virginia,

I have just gone through the steps again and downloaded the 30 day trial today. Still wants me to modify or repair. I have, and had my hidden files showing. I am contacting Wholly Genes now.

I appreciate the time you have both spent trying to get this problem fixed.

Janice Cornwell

Down Under

UPDATE

I tried going through the process several times today. I finally searched in the "all programs" box and 4 "The master genenealogst" entries showed up. When I got the message these are shortcuts that do not lead anywhere, after checking that, I deleted them.

My next move was to check TMG on a computer that is temporarily stored here. TMG on that had the help file showing. I copied the tmgsetup to my computer. When I ran it it came up with modify or repair. I clicked repair and now I am back to normal.

Janice Cornwell