CarolK

projects and data sets

Hello! I am getting back into TMG now that the children are grown and I am trying to refresh my memory with using the program. Now is the time to straighten anything out before I enter more and more people and make it harder to change any of the set up.

I have five different branches of people I am working on - two on my husband's side and three on my side. Naturally, he and I and our girls will be duplicated in each branch. Right now I have one project and have been entering the data for all branches within that one project. Would it be better to "branch out" and make a separate data set for each branch? If so, how would I go about separating out the info into individual data sets?

Thank you very much! It is good to be back!!

Carol

Fort Smith, AR

I strongly urge you to keep everything in a single data set in a single project. If you split them up you cannot create reports or a website using Second Site that includes people from other data sets. For example, if you split your ancestors and your husband's, you cannot create a report showing all your children's ancestors.

Working with the data becomes more difficult too. If you make any customized Tag Types, Source Types, etc., maintaining them in the separate data sets becomes a pain. There is just little value, and lots of difficulty introduced by keeping them separate.