• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hiking, formal shooting competition

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

I would like to remove a group of people from my project. I wish to do it in such a way that they can be restored later on without loss of information in a certain eventuality. What would be the best way to do that? At present I have one project which contains one data set. The people to be excluded can easily be put into a focus group. Only a single tag connects them with anyone else in the project.

Thanks in advance for any advice & good wishes to all.

Robert

Edited by Robert Jacobs, 30 July 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#2 ggilbert1

ggilbert1

Glenn Gilbert

• Senior Members
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Main surnames: Anderson, Gilbert, Graham, Vigne

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

I don't know about the restore part, but a post within the hour on TMG-L details removing a group of people to a second dataset.
http://archiver.root...2-07/1343689162
I suppose if you were to keep the second dataset rather than delete it you could merge it back in to restore the people then recreate the tag that connects them.

Edited by ggilbert1, 30 July 2012 - 04:44 PM.

Glenn Gilbert
Gilbert-Genealogy

#3 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thanks, Glenn. I was pretty sure I could do that, but I don't want them in the project at all.

Hot and windy in Ellensburg today -- the usual for our eastern WA summers.

R.

#4 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

You could remove them to a separate project.

Virginia
Win7 Professional x64

#5 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Thanks so much, Virginia. That sounds like what I need to do. Can I do it directly from the focus group -- that is, without first making a second data set in my main project?

Robert

#6 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

Robert,

You can't just remove the second Data Set, but you can copy the Project (File > Copy Project), then delete the second Data Set from the original, and the first from the copy. Should you later need to re-combine them, you merge the two Projects, then either Copy the People back to the working Data Set, or Merge the two Data Sets.
Terry

See my Tutorials and Articles on using TMG at tmg.reigelridge.com

The Second Edition of my book, A Primer for The Master Genealogist, is still available
. For more information see my website.

#7 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

Terry -

For now he has one project with a single data set. Can he use the List of People Secondary Output to create a new project with the people in the Current Focus Group?

Virginia
Win7 Professional x64

#8 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:00 AM

Yes, but that won't remove them from the current Project, and to remove then by other means than the Move Person(s) command requires that you do it one-by-one, breaking links to other people first. That's an awful task.

The only way to do it easily is to Move the people to a separate Data Set, then get that Data Set into it's own Project as I described above.
Terry

The Second Edition of my book, A Primer for The Master Genealogist, is still available

#9 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

So you can't just Delete all people in the Focus Group after you copy them to the new project? That does not get the links?

Virginia
Win7 Professional x64

#10 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

Perhaps it might be easier to think of the problem in reverse. Use the Focus Group to set a temporary flag with the List of People report. Default is 'N', but Focus Group people now set to 'Y'. Now create a new Project with the List of People report selecting all people with flag equals 'N'. The new project will have everyone except the Focus Group people.
Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#11 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

As a backup of the people in the Focus Group, use the flag above to create a new Project with the List of People report selecting all people with flag equals 'Y'. These will be only the Focus Group people. Now you have two Projects, one with only the Focus people, one with everyone except the Focus people. If you need to combine later, just merge.
Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#12 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

So you can't just Delete all people in the Focus Group after you copy them to the new project?

You can't delete a person who has links to another person (that is, has a parent/child relationship tag or marriage with another person - I'm not sure about other types of joint tags). So you can't delete the people in the Focus Group until you go through and delete all the linking tags. That's a huge task.

But Michael's idea also works around that. Make two copies of the Project, one without the group to be excluded, and the other containing only those people. Then discard the original Project.
Terry

#13 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Thanks, everyone! I adopted Terry's original suggestion and now have the miscreant and his relatives safely ensconced in a separate project. Fortunately only 18 people were involved, so deleting the relationship tags only took a few minutes.

Good wishes to all.

Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users