Sign in to follow this  
RadioHead33

"Native File" exports

Hello: Whereas I know that I can import data from several other genealogical software programs in their native file format, is it not possible to EXport my data in the same formats? I have a newly-found half-sister who uses PAF and prefers to import her data in that format. Will I have to use GEDCOM or one of the others in the export wizard?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, Jim is completely correct. For PAF your only direct export option is GEDCOM, but you need to realize that GEDCOM can leave out much of your information. A few software vendors have done what TMG has done and provided a way to directly import information from the native file formats of other programs, but I have not heard where PAF has that import capability.

I have a relative who also only uses PAF. I created a GEDCOM for her at her insistence. However since I make use of most of the special features in TMG (such as witnesses and custom event tags), due to the inherent limitations of GEDCOM at least half of my TMG information was completely lost. It is not a matter of the Export, there is simply no mechanism to express that information in the roughly 25-year-old GEDCOM format. I also sent her a CD of Second Site web pages made from my TMG information, which is my preferred method of sharing. She actually found that more useful, as that contained all my tags, narratives, linkages, citations, and indexes. She could then choose what to enter into her PAF, how to express the things TMG can do but PAF cannot, and to add citations to my database. Other users on this Forum have previously posted that they only share their information by sending reports, such as Journal reports, also due to GEDCOM limitations.

To be fair, GEDCOM was only designed and intended for sharing people's names, with their Birth/Marriage/Death/Burial basic date/location data and parents/children family groupings, all with simple notes and citations. If that is all you wish to share, then GEDCOM will be completely adequate.

Thanks so much for the information. I'll be checking out "Second Site" in about... oh... 5 seconds. Thanks again.