I'm looking for some solution to add an existing person to the tree!

It seems that related persons often married into some kind of familymembers. I have several (!?) cousins, who married into each others familys, which creates a problem: I can't add an existing person as mother or father? - It seems like I have to go the other way around, which again creates more probles as my tree gets bigger. It takes forever to 'repair' all these connections.. I miss the function of add existing person, when I'm building my tree.

Another thing I miss is the ability to 'jump' back to previous screen or person. Maybe I'm too customed to treat TMG like I treat my firefox-browser?? Anyhow I miss that function.

Is there any tricks or solutions I'm not aware of?? Maybe someone has develloped some genious ways of dealing with similar problems??

Thanks for any help I might get! :)

Arne Myklebost (Znekkern), Oslo, Norway!

(arne.myklebost@gmail.com)

To add an existing person as a mother or father note the ID# of the mother and/or father...go to the detail view for the child, double click on the Father or Mother label at the top of the detail view, enter the ID# in the parent field...do same for other parent...

Arne -

Use Ctrl-L to return to the last person you viewed. Also, on the top menu, View has a list of the last 10 people you viewed. A shortcut here is Alt-V and then type the number on the list (1-9) of that person to return to him or her.

There are many more shortcuts listed in Help / Keyboard shortcuts. Also see Help / Navigation using Keyboard.

Virginia

Hi Arne,

Paul mentioned how to add an existing person as a parent when viewing the child. It is just as easy to similarly add an existing person as a child when viewing the parent. Add a tag (not a person) to the parent. Select the Son-Biological (or Dau-Biological) tag type. In the Tag Entry screen the Parent ID number will already be filled in. Now either enter the Child's ID number in the Child box if you know it, or click on the binoculars next to the Child box to use the Picklist to find and select the existing person for the child. Of course, similar to adding both the mother and father to the child as mentioned by Paul, you will need to add the child to both parents if done from that direction.

Use whichever method you find easiest.