WFS

Tag Entry Screen - Citation Truncation

Hi All,

any idea why the Citation details are truncated.

There's loads of room for additional citation details (it maybe shows only 50 charactes of the citation detail)

Even when the tag entry window is expanded, the citation details don't increase in size.

Thanks

Bill

1920 * 1200 monitor

AMD 7700 video

Win7 Professional

Edited by WFS

The Citation Detail field on the Tag Entry / Citation screen is a database memo and has no length restriction.

You are talking about after some import? If so, the truncation is not coming from TMG. You would have to track from the original database to TMG to see where the truncation occurs.

Hi Jim,

I'm talking about how TMG displays the data on the screen. It's clearly truncating the display - only half of a letter being displayed etc.

I uploaded a screen shot, showing how much room there is to display the details, but TMG appears to 'truncate' the display.

For example on the last citation it just displays 'Bradf' - when the citation detail ends with the word 'Bradford'.

http://bill-schofield.com/TMG%20Citation%20Truncation.jpg

This happens 'all the time' - not just the odd citation here and there.

Thanks

Bill

You're actually talking about the source name, not the citation detail. Since the source number, source name, citation detail and sureties each have to be allocated part of the available space, there will always be some limit as to how much source text and citation text fit in the list.

The space should increase somewhat as the screen width increases. The spacing isn't dynamic but depends on how the form for the screen is designed.

=> The space should increase somewhat as the screen width increases

On my version of TMG, resizing the form doesn't alter the alter the 'number' of characters displayed.

When the form is resized to its minimum width, there's about 50% of 'empty space', and when expanded, even more 'empty' space.

It would be nice if the form was amended slightly, to use more of the available space. (shouldn't be a big change).

Bill

Bill -

It is a consequence/limitation of the form design. You are looking at four dedicated columns (source number, source name, citation detail, sureties). Expanding the window will show more citation detail.

TagEntry3.jpg

Virginia

I guess it depends on how we all use the citation. The "empty space" is, as Virginia says, the space allocated for the citation detail column. I use citation detail quite a lot (page number and reference numbers, for example) and so in my case the current behavior is exactly how I want it. But considering how good TMG is about allowing the user to customize every other aspect of the layout, it seems reasonable to be able to control the size of these column as well.

That explains it - I never use citation details. So for me there's always a lot of white space.

I guess I'm the odd one out (and probably not for the first time <g>).

So the current 'way it works' would appear to be the best way for most users.

Thanks for the assistance.

Bill