Paul in NJ

Details Window Issue in Windows 7

(I haven't seen this after searching/browsing)

I have a custom layout which shows Details, Children, Siblings, and Image.

First issue: On startup, the Details window does not show. The workaround is to switch to the Standard layout and then back to my custom layout - then the Details window appears.

Second issue: When I switch the view to a different individual, the Details window does not change to show the individual selected, though the other three open windows do change. The workaround is to click either the Family or Tree tab on the Details window, and then click back to Person.

Edited by Paul in NJ

Paul -

When the Details window does not appear, instead of switching to the Standard layout and then back, go to Window on the top menu and re-select Details. Then resave your layout. I use the shortcut 'Alt-v-a-m Alt-o' to save/overwrite the existing layout with the same name.

How are you switching view to a different individual - double click on a person or rightclick on a name and 'change focus to this person' or using the Project Explorer or Picklist? Does it make a difference whether you are in the Details, Tree, or Family view whether the focus changes correctly?

Do you open TMG and your project directly or from the Welcome Window (recommended)?

Virginia

When the Details window does not appear, instead of switching to the Standard layout and then back, go to Window on the top menu and re-select Details. Then resave your layout.

When I did that, the Details window was completely blank aside from the database field names. I restored the content by switching to Family, then back to Person. I then resaved my layout.

And resaving the layout seems to have taken care of the issue! Thanks! However, before I did that, I tried your other suggestions. The following results occurred while the program was still erroring out. (Who knows - you may want this data.)

You: How are you switching view to a different individual - double click on a person or rightclick on a name and 'change focus to this person' or using the Project Explorer or Picklist?

Me: I get the same result using any method to switch to a different person.

You: Does it make a difference whether you are in the Details, Tree, or Family view whether the focus changes correctly?

Me: Why, yes, it does: switching individuals works correctly while in Tree or Family. It does not work while in Person. Nice catch. (Again, this was done before I resaved the layout per your suggestion above.)

You: Do you open TMG and your project directly or from the Welcome Window (recommended)?

Me: I tried both options and got the same result. (Now that the issue is resolved, either option gives me the Detail window.)

Paul -

Thanks for the info. So the Details window is staying put - and the change in focus problem also works in all three views now?

Yes to all. Awesome!