The Oakster

Age in Details Window

Hello,

After a too long absence from my research I have returned and decided to just go over everything and catch up. I have noticed for one of my younger people that in the details tab I have an age of 3?.

Any ideas why there is a ? after the age? There is a birth tag with a standard date in so I am confused. As usual.

Thanks in advance.

As has been mentioned before, this person most likely doesn't have a death date.

If so, check the Value of the LIVING flag for this person.

In case it is set to "?" (without the quotes) then the OtherInfo box will -in your case- provide this person's age as: 3?

I have noticed for one of my younger people that in the details tab I have an age of 3?. Any ideas why there is a ? after the age? There is a birth tag with a standard date in so I am confused.
I don't think this has anything to do with Death information.

An Age value is based on two dates, the date from the Primary Birth tag and the date of that specific tag in the Details view, which can be any type of event tag. Any regular Date form, with any level of specificity, can be entered with a single trailing ‘?’ after the complete Date form, which allows the user to intentionally express uncertainty. TMG will not consider that date irregular, and it will sort immediately after an identical Date form without the question mark. Computed Ages based on dates with a trailing question mark, either the date in the Birth tag or the date in the later tag, will also print with a trailing question mark. Again a feature to intentionally and explicitly express uncertainty.

Thus I would guess that either the date in the Birth tag, or the date in the tag which is 3 years after birth, has been entered with a trailing '?'.

Michael -

I'm assuming this was the Age in the Other Info box at the top right of the Details window, not in the Tag box below. In the Other Info box a question mark follows the age if there is no death date. If you have entered yourself in your project, you will see a question mark following your Age in that box.

Virginia

Ahhh.... Understood. We had different "assumptions" of what Age he meant. You thought it was in the Other info, which I didn't think of as I have that entry moved way down so I never see it. I thought he meant the Age column alongside some tag in the TMG sub-window which is labeled "Details" since he said in the Details tab. Well, whichever he meant, I think he now has his answer.

And the winning answer was....

Living Flag set to ?

Many thanks for the replies everyone. Its good to be back.

Glad you got your answer. It also led me to some additional testing of the Other Info Age.

You can also get a question mark following the years number in the Other Info area even if the LIVING flag is either 'Y' or 'N' (not '?'), but either the Birth tag date or the Death tag date is entered with a trailing question mark. So the question mark in the Other Info can come from either the LIVING flag being '?' or a Date with a question mark. Most interesting. I will have to add that to my notes.