pthowe

Report - Surname Index

How do I create a surname index? I understand that if I output to "Word" I can create an index. I am not sure what flag I need to set in TMG or what steps to take in Word to create.

I would suggest reading the 'Report Options: Indexes' help topic.

Basically...

1) You select the index options in the report options.

2) You generate the report to a Word document. The document will contain the index field codes.

3) You go to the end of the document in Word and insert an index. How you do this differs for different Word versions. Check help in Word for how to insert an index.

The trial version is the full version as long as the trial hasn't expired.

Again... All TMG does is to generate the index field codes in the Word document... assuming that you made index selections in the report options. You create the index in Word.

For example, in the Journal report click on the Options button at the lower left on the report configuration screen and then select the Indexes tab. Choose the information you wish to include in your index. I would suggest accepting the default Index entries and then seeing what you would like differently. The (hidden) Word Index codes will be inserted in your report. For Report Destination, save to Microsoft Word.

How you insert the Index (generated from the hidden codes) in Word will depend on your version of Word. In Word 2010, navigate to the place in your document where you want the Index and click on References / Insert Index on the ribbon at the top. Click on OK and the Index should be inserted.

The TMG Help Topic 'Report Options: Indexes' has some tips for using the indexes and the results of the different options.

Virginia