pthowe

RTF Format Doc

The latest specification is v1.9.1 (28 March 2008) released with Word 2007.

According to Microsoft's Office 2010 resource kit documentation, Microsoft is discontinuing enhancements to the RTF specification.

There are some features in Word 2010 (and 2013?) that are not consistent with the v1.9.1 specification.

I was trying to convert the RTF to LaTeX using a utility. The utility was designed for RTF Version 1.3 & 1.5 & 1.7. I was having trouble getting the Index entries to translate. The person who created the utility has not been helpful. The problem may be ME. Not knowing how to use the utility and/or TMG.

An individual narrative report to RTF with index entries for surnames and several place levels worked fine in Word 2010 (although the index font was strange and needed editing). You can check the index entries in the RTF file by opening it with Notepad.

Peter -

If the goal is to get a TMG report with index into LaTeX, I wonder if the doc format would work better. There is a Word to LaTex converter.. You can also download extensions for both the free LibreOffice and OpenOffice word processors to convert doc to LaTex. I have not been successful, however, in inserting a TMG report index into either one of those word processors.

Virginia

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to look into doing Word to TeX. I am working with the Journal report. It has a very nice format. I am still trying to figure out how to group the families. My oldesst ancester in my sir name line is causing me a little trouble. I know his wife's parents which I would like to include that but It keeps doing the main part of the report focused on the in-law family. (Yes I know all the data is there but there is some ego involved)

Still learning. Please post any suggestions.

Peter