Sign in to follow this  
RayWing

TMG and SSD hard drives

I am in the process of buying a replacement laptop computer, which is primarily used for genealogy. I have a large TMG database (over 200,000 individuals) and am looking at ways to speed up my system.

I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a laptop with a SSD drive and installing the operating system, as well as the TMG program on this solid-state drive, but having the database hosted on the regular hard drive.

Has anyone else on this forum had any experience with using SSD drives with TMG and/or offer opinions on whether it is worth the investment?

SSD drives are probably the single best performance improvement that you can make. It's amazing. My desktop is using a SSD for the system disk and a hard drive for the data disk. I'll eventually add a second SSD for some of the items on the data disk.

btw... SSD prices are very good at the moment but are predicted to rise. The flash memory manufacturers are supposedly cutting back on production.

Ray,

I've installed a SSD drive on my desktop, and installed the OS and apps, including TMG, on it. I like the way everything starts quicker, but I can't tell that TMG operates any more quickly.

I tried putting my TMG data files on it, and again couldn't tell the difference in speed. Since frequent write operations are supposed to reduce the life of the drive, and since I couldn't tell the difference, I have moved the data back to a conventional drive.