Sign in to follow this  
Alec

Restoring Backup

When I backup a project and try to open it from the backup I get the message "The file C:\.....The Master Genealogist v 7\Backups\.....2012-10-11 16 37 21.sqz does not appear to be valid PJC file!!!

However if I open TMG and load the last project it opens fine.

I am worried that I am saving backups that will not work.

Any advise or solutions?

Alec

Please explain what you mean when you say "try to open it from the backup". Do you mean when you try to restore the backup? You can't "open" a backup.

More...

You shouldn't be backing up any files provided by the program installer. It serves no purpose to do so.

I would suggest backing up the project files, accents and filters only. Manage external exhibits and customizations outside of TMG.

See the 'Data File Storage' help topic to learn where TMG stores the various types of data that it uses and creates.

I would advising storing each project in its own folder under the Projects folder.

To test a backup, create a new folder under the Projects folder. Then restore the backup to that empty folder and test the restored project. Once that you are satisfied that the backup is OK, you can simply delete the folder with the restored project that you are checking.

Edited by Jim Byram

Alec,

It sounds like you are using the File > Open Project command to try and open the backup. As Jim says, you can't do that. Rather, you have to first Restore it.

Making a backup compresses the many files that make up the Project into a single, compressed, file. The File > Restore command causes the many files which were compressed into the backup file to be restored to their original condition as independent files. TMG can only "Open" a project when it is in this expanded condition.

Hi guys

Thanks for that. You have made it very clear that I was not thinking very clearly and yes I was trying to open the backup. Restore works fine.

As this was my first post I am extremely impressed with the speed of response so thanks again.

Alec