odp

Latest TMG 8 version, and tips / installing, etc.

Hi, I have TMG 7 installed, purchased TMG l8 (have version 8.02) but never installed.

I think latest version is 8.04? yes?

How to download it.

I need some tips on installing ( remember there were some gotchas), and how to keep TMG 7 and 8 completely.

separate!

Thank you very much. Deb

Deb,

TMG 7 and TMG 8 are actually separate programs, and they will not interfere with each other so long as you don't open the TMG 7 version of your Project(s) in TMG8. If you do that, you will no longer be able to open them in TMG 7.

Yes, 8.04 is the latest version. While you could install the older version and update it, you will save time by downloading and installing the lasted version directly. You can find it from the main section of this site, as the "30-day free trial." Install that, then unlock it with the serial number you received when you purchased TMG 8 and you will have the full version installed.

It is recommended that you create a copy of your TMG 7 Project(s) for TMG 8 and use that in the new version. The easiest way to do that is to make a backup of the Project in TMG 7, then Restore it in TMG 8. There are more details on this in this article on my website.

Deb -

The 'gotcha' for a few people was having installed a previous copy of v8 - perhaps the public v8 beta. In that case all remnants of that earlier installation must be removed before installing v8. Instructions are in a pinned message at the top of the v8 forum.

What operating system are you using? I suggest for this first installation that you accept the default Typical options offered by the installer. If you want to make changes later you can. Note that v7 and v8 coexist without any problem, and it is a good idea to keep v7 at least until you are sure that your layouts and other customizations have been successfully restored to v8.

Let us know if you run into a problem.

Virginia

Hi,

I had version 8.04 silver version on my computer which I removed to install the Gold version on Friday. I made sure all beta version of TMG 8 were removed and I am still having problem installing TMG 8 gold version. It stalls at installs and does not move any further.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I am using Window 7

Thank you

Agathe :no:

Agathe -

Try going through Jim's list of possible v8 remnant locations in his message 'Re-installing TMG8' pinned at the top of the v8 forum - in case a vestige of the Silver version is the problem.

Virginia

I had version 8.04 silver version on my computer which I removed to install the Gold version on Friday. I made sure all beta version of TMG 8 were removed and I am still having problem installing TMG 8 gold version. It stalls at installs and does not move any further.

There is no difference between the silver and gold installers. The only difference is the registration information that you enter. And you should not have removed the installation that worked. As Virginia says, you need to follow my directions to do a clean install.

After installation, you will still have the Silver version showing.

I don't know of this issue coming up before and it requires special steps to resolve it.

You need to go to Support and have them walk you through removing the registration registry entry. After that, you can enter your Gold version registration information. If Dorothy doesn't know how to deal with this, have her ask me and I'll give her a step-by-step procedure.

I have been following Jim Byram and Virginia Blakelock's directions on the installation of TMG 8 and even with the help of Dorothy, we were unable to get the progam to install. Since I last talked to Dorothy I have removed all instances of TMG7 and still no luck with the installation.

This is what happens after I double-click on tmg8 setup.exe

1 screen - Select language

2 screen - Wholly Genes Software

3 screen - Welcome to the master Genealogist V8 - set up wizard - next

4 screen - Licence agreement

5 screen - Begin installation of te master genealogist V8 install

and this is where it stalls all the time. Dorothy and I could not find any instances of the program.

There has to be a simple solution. I was able to install it before and I had no problem doing it.

Does that mean that I should install TMG 8 on the computer where it works now and then install a different genealogy program on the other computer because we cannot get TMG 8 to install.

Help please. This is a puzzle.

Thank you

Agathe

Agathe,

Please don't reply by clicking the [Report] button. The [Report] button is for reporting posts that do not follow the message board rules to a moderator, not for responding to posts.

Add your replies in the 'Reply to this topic' field below the last post. Or use the [Q u o t e] button below the post that you are responding to if you want to include quoted text.

There was no point in uninstalling TMG7. TMG7 and TMG8 are different programs and use different installers. The TMG8 installer issues just have to do with the TMG8 installer. And the current TMG8 installer differs from the installer used for the original release of TMG8.

Assuming that you have completely cleaned up following my post, the only idea left to try is to delete the TMG8 registry entries. Either...

32-bit Windows 7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Wholly Genes / The Master Genealogist v8

or

64-bit Windows 7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Wow6432Node / Wholly Genes / The Master Genealogist v8

Just run Regedit.exe and select the 'The Master Genealogist v8' key and delete it.

Jim

Jim,

I have checked 64-bit Window 7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WOW6432NODE/

but there is no Wholly Genes/The Master Genealogist v8 in that WOW6432NODE

Take care

Agathe

If you have done everything described in my pinned post and still can't install, this is an issue that Wholly Genes will need to deal with.

The only suggestion I have received so far from Wholly Genes was that may be I should consider re-installing Window 7. I think this is a bit drastic from my point of view.

The only suggestion I have received so far from Wholly Genes was that may be I should consider re-installing Window 7. I think this is a bit drastic from my point of view.

I agree. That's a ridiculous suggestion.

Agathe -

Were you able to find and delete the entry in the Virtual Store:

C:Usersuser account nameAppDataLocalVirtualStoreProgram Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8

When you found the Wholly Genes Software folder in the regedit Wow6432Node, did you see The Master Genealogist v7 entry there or had you already deleted it?

Virginia

Virginia,

Thank you very much for your help. I was getting desperate that no one could help me with the program.

I had tried what Wholly Genes suggested and my program kept on crashing. I followed the instructions you gave me and everything worked like a charm. V8.04 is now on track and working.

Thanks again for all your help.

Agathe