ChuckWhite

Printer Setup not retaining changes

I'm using TMG Gold Edition, v 8.04.0000 on a WinXP Service Pack 3 machine with an HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn as the default printer.

The printer preferences are set to:

- Paper type: Plain

- Paper sizes: Letter

- Paper source: Automatically Select

- Orientation: Portrait

- Print on both sides: Yes, flip over

- Color options: Color

When I select File > Printer Setup, 'Windows default' is selected under 'Printer'. 'Portrait' is selected under 'Orientation'. When I click on 'Preferences' in the 'Printer' section, it shows for the HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn Document Properties:

- Paper type: Plain

- Paper sizes: Letter

- Paper source: Automatically Select

- Orientation: Landscape (Note that this is different than the printer's setting)

- Print on both sides: Yes, flip over

- Color options: Color

I then change 'Orientation' to 'Portrait' and 'Print on both sides' to 'No'. I then click on 'Okay' in the HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn Document Properties page and 'Okay' in the Printer Setup page.

When I then select File > Printer Setup > Printer Preferences, the settings have reverted back to 'Orientation: Landscape' and 'Print on both sides: Yes, flip over'. The changed settings have not been retained.

I have found the same to be true when I try changing the printing preferences under the Individual Detail report. This causes all my multiple Individual Detail reports to be printed duplexed (front-to-back) (i.e., when I try printing Individual Detail reports for two separate people, the reports print front-to-back rather than two separate, single-sided reports.)

Once this problem is resolved, we'll work on the Individual Detail report ignoring the bottom margin setting!

Chuck White

Chuck -

Several of us have had a problem in printer preferences with the paper size selection changing - from letter to A4 - and that bug has been reported. I don't know whether that relates to the problems you are having. For now, in Printer Setup I select my specific printer - instead of the Windows default - and I check (and correct if necessary) the settings using the Preferences in the Printer button on the Print Preview screen just before I print. You might want to try that.

Re the bottom margin setting on the Individual Detail report, I find that if I set the margin in the report definition screen Properties before creating and printing the report, it holds.

Virginia

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, Virginia. However, they didn't work. I tried selecting my specific printer under Printer Setup and changed the settings for Orientation and Duplex printing. When I closed out and returned, the settings had reverted back to the previous settings.

I've tried setting the top and bottom margins in the report definition screen for the Individual Details report to 0.5" and printed a report for an individual whose report results in two pages. The bottom margin on the first page is 0.0" (the printing goes all the way to the bottom of the page) and the top margin on the second page is 0.0" (the printing starts at the very top of the page). When I change the top and bottom margins to 1.0" and print the same report, the bottom edge of the printing on the first page is 0.5" up from the bottom edge of the page while the top edge of the printing on the second page is 0.25" down from the top of the second page.

BTW, I also checked and changed the Properties in the Report Destinations and Preferences in the Printer section. Those settings did not hold and were ignored by the report writer.

Chuck

Chuck -

That is a lot of problems. Did this printer work with TMG v7?

Try setting the Individual Detail report definition to its defaults, using the Reset Defaults button under the configuration name. In Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced, check that the Configurations file folder is in the default location for v8 (note those settings are specific to a project). Did you install v8 to the default locations? Is your printer on a server? Do you have any of the same margin problems in any other program?

I see we are neighbors -

Virginia

Hi, Virginia.

Yes, this same printer worked fine in TMG v7. It is connected to my system through my LAN. The Configurations file folder is in the default location and I did install v8 to the default locations. I do not have the same margin problems in any other program. I'll try setting the Individual Detail report definition to its defaults and get back to you.

Howdy, neighbor! I hadn't noticed that from any of your postings. I'm on the TMG-L also and find your answers there very informative but have not used the forums much. Looks like that's going to change now!

Chuck

Hi, Virginia.

I reset the Individual Detail report to its default settings and re-ran my two page report to the Print Preview output. The margins appeared to be correct (to the naked eye). I then printed the report from the Print Preview screen. Using a ruler, I measured the top and bottom, left and right margins (measuring from the edge of the page to the closest edge of the printing). The top margin for page one is 1.25" and the bottom margin for page one is 1.0". The top margin for page two is 0.25". The left margin for both page one and page two is 1.125" and the right margin for both page one and page two is 0.875". I checked the margin settings under Properties in the Report Destinations section and they are all set to 1.0" (top, bottom, right, left).

Chuck

More information for you, Virginia.

On my network, I also have a Canon MX892 color inkjet connected to another computer through a USB port. I tried sending my two-page Individual Detail report to that printer (through the Print Preview option) and got better results; however, the margins still don't match the settings (1.0"). The measured margins were:

Page 1, top: approximately 0.6"

Page 1, bottom: approximately 1.4"

Page 1, left, 1.25"

Page 1, right, 0.75"

Page 2, top: 1.0"

Page 2, bottom: the data doesn't fill the page so it cannot be measured.

Page 2, left: 1.0"

Page 2, right: 1.0"

Hope this helps!

Chuck

@MarzkaI have a similar problem. Just upgraded to TMG8 and while trying to print a Individual Detail report it changes the Paper size to A4 (210 x 297mm) from the printer setup size of Letter (8.5 x 11")

Marska -

I have the same problem - and it has been reported. When printing reports I use the Print icon in the Print Preview screen - and at that time change the A4 setting to Letter - or click on the Reset button (Letter size is set as the preference). The Letter setting will revert to A4 if set any earlier in the print process.

Virginia