• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Right.  The position of the value in the sequence of values for a flag is defined to have the same meaning in all languages.  This is true whether the flag is a standard flag or a custom flag created by the user.  The different values in different languages are only translations.  The user should assign to each position whatever character is appropriate for that position's meaning in that language, but must keep in mind the position.  Similarly the user can change the name of the flag itself, but its meaning will remain the same in all languages.

For example the three meanings for the flag named ADOPTED in English are fixed for this standard flag to the following positions:

Position one means "unknown".  You should choose a character for this position that means "unknown" in that language.

Position two means "adopted".  You should choose a character for this position that means "adopted" in that language.

Position three means "not adopted".  You should choose a character for this position that means "not adopted" in that language.

Hope this is clearer.  The ability to change the values in other languages is a valuable translation feature, but needs to be understood.

Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#22 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

As for vabopi working in a different language, his attachment file is named "Captura de ecrã" which is Portuguese for "Screen capture" and he lists his location as "Lisboa, Portugal".  Thus I am assuming he is probably working in a custom TMG language and not in "English (U.S.)".  Isso é correto, vabopi?

Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#23 vabopi

vabopi
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:07 AM

I upgraded from v7.04 only 6 weeks ago, never changed the language, and that is why the order of Y,N,? cannot be changed. As this adoption flag is not really important to me, I noticed this glitch yesterday only by chance. 

I did a few tests, and following Michael Hannah suggestion, I changed the language, having chosen English UK. Now the default is "N", and after the correction of the wrong values set before, this problem seems solved. I hope that the use of English UK has no drawbacks. 

For now, I have also included this flag - together with "Living" - to the "Add Person" form.

Mac Mini (late 2012) i5 500GB+1.5TB/16GB

Mavericks/Parallels8/XPsp3 (50GB/2GB)/TMG8.08

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users