Sign in to follow this  
nbradley

Generations Import

Last night I imported a .uds database from Generations into TMG for a friend. I only had a few of the images so I copied them to the default Exhibits folder.

The import worked very well and TMG found the exhibits.

What is a little strange is that for each exhibit in the Caption section of the Description tab there are multiple paths to the exhibit showing as text. The same text (truncated) is also appearing in the General Tab under Topic.

In Second Site in the Photo Gallery I'm getting multiple copies of each image with the paths text appearing under each.

Is this just something that needs to be cleaned up manually after importing from Generations or there soemthing that can be modified at the Generations end?

Images for both spouses are linked to each spouse. (This is because of how images are linked in Generations.)

The path goes to the exhibit Topic. (as it should)

The path goes to the exhibit Citation. (I only see one path per exhibit.)

The memo goes to the exhibit Description.

I'd just clean things up after import. Copy the Description text to the Citation field replacing the existing text.

Jim,

I've looked a bit harder at my TMG file. As you pointed out all exhibits are repeated for the spouse.

In my case all exhibits are then also repeated for every citation (for spouses) hence when I load the data into Second Site it has a lot of duplicates.

Is this likely to be an issue with the Generations source database that I have imported?

When you import something to TMG, you will need to do considerable cleanup before using the imported data in Second Site. This is true even after a simple GEDCOM import.

I lost my test Generations database testing this (my fault) and have no frame of reference remaining to look at any issue with import of a Generations database. Perhaps I'll find a backup but am not going to spend the considerable time required to rebuild the test database in Generations.

Jim,

Thanks for you help. Sorry about your test database.

I think turning off the citation exhibits heading to Second Site will solve my current issue.