benbrink

GEDCOM export--no ancestors

I just installed v 8.0 and I didn't see this specific topic.

I have tried exporting GEDCOM 5.5 and 4.0 to upload to collaborative site. The site rejects the file as corrupted.

I have exported my whole file (about 22k names), a and focus groups (about 2000 names and 200 names) as a experiment.

I opened the GEDCOM in PAF as a test. The names appear but all the family ancestor links have been stripped. Some descendent links remain but when I go to them they do not show any ancestors either.

Anybody else have this problem and is there a fix?

the parameters are just set up as default on everything in the wizard. I have exported both to 4.0 and 5.5 gedcom files--same result. I have exported both my full file--about 20 k names--and subsets with 100-1000 names--same result. The file used was an upgraded file from v7--everything worked fine in that version. I also tried a restored backup of the same file from 7.0--got an even stranger result--the gedcom was only 1k large. I really don't know what is going on.

I vaguely recall having something similar happen to me (ie - exporting to Gedcom and the results not linking families together). If I remember correctly, it only affected me when I tried Gedcom version 5.5, but worked okay with Gedcom version 4.0.

I believe this was back when I was using version 7, and haven't tried using Gedcom 5.5 on version 8.

I have a different issue with exporting to Gedcom on version 8, and it relates to how long it takes to complete the export. I have a LARGE dataset (about 210,000 individuals), so that may be part of the problem, but it takes several hours for the export, even on a brand new Windows 8 machine with 4 cores & lots of memory.