Sign in to follow this  
gwlowe

Backup Error

I just installed Master Genealogist version 8. When I attempt to create a backup of my project, I always get this error:

Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process.

How can I create a backup of my files?

Where are your trying to create the backup? This error most commonly occurs when a user is trying to create the backup directly on to some kind of removable media. You should create the backup on your computer's main hard drive (e.g. C:) and then after the backup finishes copy or write the ".sqz" file which is created on to some removable media.

Hope this helps,

I had a similar experience when I first tried to backup my files, and discovered the cause was from the fact I had accidentally set the path for the backup file to be in the program directory. Newer versions of Windows will not allow this to occur. Make sure the path the backup file is going to is not in a sub-directory of your Program folder, but in a sub-directory of you Documents folder.

I found the source of the problem. The backup name was being automatically generated as c:documents and settingsglmy documents... I changed it manually to be named c:usersgldocuments... and it worked fine.

The automatically generated name is the location where the project was previously backed up on another computer which used Windows xp. My current computer uses Windows 7.

Does anyone know where I can go and change the path permanently in TMG to point to the correct path for Windows 7 so I don't have to change it manually every time?

Does anyone know where I can go and change the path permanently in TMG to point to the correct path for Windows 7 so I don't have to change it manually every time?

In Preferences, Current Project Options > Advanced, the first item is the backup path. Set that to the correct location and you will be fine. Note that this is a Project-specific setting, so if you have other Projects you will need to do the same for them.