dm7ich

Remove "in" preceding a place name

How can the word "in" preceding a place name be removed? It appears to be hard coded into the <L> variable as it does not appear when attempting to editing events. The issue is that, depending how I enter a place name, the word "in" makes the event sentence nonsensical. As an example, working with the Residence event, the only way I have found to force the sentence to read correctly is to insert the street address into the memo field (rather than in the detail field). A person resides "at" a street address "in" a city, not "in" a street address and city. For what should be an obvious reason, it would be much better to enter the street address into the detail field (provided the sentence would read correctly) and avoid having to enter it into every single memo field of every event where it is used. Alternately, one could use "at" preceding the detail and "in" for the subsequent city/place descriptors.

"in", "at", or blank preposition is determined by the setting in the Report Options-Places tab for the entire report. If you do not want a preposition for one particular tag then place an space in the location variable in the sentence template for that tag, i.e. "< L>". Anything you place in the variable will override the use of the default preposition, i.e. "<near L>", "<from l>", etc.

For reference please consult TMG's Help and i.e. search for: preposition

Quoting Help topic "Prepositions" it i.e. tells regarding "Places"

Places: The place is preceded with "at," "in," or nothing, according to the setting in the Places tab of the Report Options Screen for the report being generated.

That being said if you i.e. want to create an Individual Report for any person within your database > click on "Options" on the Report Definition Screen > in Report Options go to the "Places" tab and check any of the available options regarding "Prepositions" on the upper right.