Derek Baker

Import preferences into TMG 8

Is it possible to import my prefered screen layout and report preferences from TMG 7, or do I have to do it all over again. Seem to remember moving from TMG 6 to 7 I also had to set up everything.

Is it possible copy a preferences file from the old version into the new using Win Explorer?

Thanks

Derek

You can include your layouts, report configurations, and other customizations in your v7 backup. Or if you still have v7 on your computer you can copy the files over (not import) to the appropriate v8 folders. See my article here for the locations and file extensions of those files. In v8 see Help (on the top menu) / Access Folders for v8 data file folder paths.

Virginia

Thanks Virginia,

I have got the .lo and .tbr files from TMG 7 and into TMG 8 and layout now looks more like it did in TMG 7.

All I can't locate is where TMG 7 saves the Preferences/Options/Progran Options.data.

Your paper does not say what the file extension is.

It is not in the .INI file or the registry that I can see.

Could you please let me know what file name these are stored in.

Thanks

Derek

Virginia and Helmut,

Thanks, I agree with Virginia copying .INI files from App to App is almost as dangerous as modyfing the Registry.

So I'll just do that bit manually.

One further item though is that in V7 I created a number of customised Chart layouts (mostly boxes with customised sizes and borders). Do you know where they would be stored in V7? They took a long time to create and I do not want to have to do it all over.

In C:/Users/My Documents/The Master Genealogist v7/configuration files there are 3 .vcc files vcfwabc.vcc, vcfwdec.vcc and vcfwfan.vcc could they be the customised boxes?

Thanks

Derek

Derek -

Again, those chart configurations you can backup and restore. The VCF configuration files have the .rpt extension like other reports and they are in your Configuration files folder. TMG will be able to recognize from the file what kind of configuration it is - FGS or Ancestor Chart or whatever. I believe the .vcc files may be the transitional files that TMG uses to get the files from TMG to VCF (using Genbridge). I copied all my configuration files over from v7 to v8 - from the v7 configuration files folder to the v8 configuration files folder and they seem to work fine.

Virginia