I have suddenly started to have a problem in trying to start TMG 8 on my computer running Windows 7. When I try to get the program started, I get the following Program Error:

opeator/operant type mismatch
If I hit ignore, I get:
Function argument value, type, or count is invalid
Continuing to hit ignore just results in a continuing loop of those two errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have seen that error message occasionally in a project but not when opening the project. You can contact Tech Support directly:

support@whollygenes.com

Or there are a couple of things to try.

First, edit your [startup] options in the app.ini file to open TMG with the Welcome Window (I'm assuming you do not now use the Welcome Window). That will get you into TMG and the Sample project or other projects.

Your app.ini file by default in Win7 is in C:UsersuserAppDataRoamingThe Master Genealogist v8

This is a text file that you open in Notepad. Look for this section in the app.ini and change the Welcome Back to 2. Save the file.

[startup]
ReloadOnStart=No
ShowHintsform=No
SplashDelay=4
Welcome=1
WelcomeBack=2

If you keep your problem project in its own folder, make a copy of that project folder in Windows Explorer as a backup.

Delete the index files in the project. The file extension is .CDX. There are about 29 or so of them. Those index files will be recreated when (if) your project next opens.

If you have any questions, let us know. I recommend always opening TMG with the Welcome Window. It helps in cases like this and seems to mitigate little glitches in opening a project if the program is opened first.

Virginia

I think thos are the settings that I already have. I did not make changes, but here is what was in the app.ini file:

[startup]
ReloadOnStart=No
ShowHintsform=Yes
SplashDelay=4
Welcome=2
WelcomeBack=2
SampleLocation=C:UsersJACKDocumentsThe Master Genealogist v7ProjectsSamplesample__.pjc
CheckMessageLast=2456289
CheckMessageDays=7
CheckUpdateLast=2456289
CheckUpdateDays=14
[Database]
Prefix=
project1=c:UsersJackDocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8ProjectsWALSH, THOMAS & DESCENDANTS__.PJC
project2=c:UsersJackDocumentsThe Master Genealogist v7ProjectsWALSH, THOMAS & DESCENDANTS__.PJC
project3=
project4=
project5=
project6=
project7=
project8=
project9=
LastUsed=c:UsersJackDocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8ProjectsWALSH, THOMAS & DESCENDANTS__.PJC
project10=
LastRPB=
Thank you for trying to help. I'm in a bit of a panic as I have been working on this for 30 years, and don't want to lose anything. I do have the project files and folders backed up, but I'm still nervous!

I'm sorry that did not help. The v7 folder locations, including that of the Sample project, in the v8 app.ini is confusing - particularly your identical project in a v8 and a v7 folder. I don't know whether that has played a part in the problem or not. Tech support should be able to help - or someone else may have a suggestion.

Virginia