Judi

8.04 update failure

Upon startup I was notified to update to 8.04. The update installation failed and now TMG8 is gone from my computer.

Should I download v8 from whollygenes.com or call support?

Thanks, Judi

I've followed all instructions mentioned up to the "drag installer version" . There are two folders left in CPROGRAMDATA. One is a TMG8 folder dated before I tried to update and the second is TMG8 Installer dated today. Should I delete the older folder and then execute from the v8 Installer dated today OR should I delete both folders and install from whollygenes? In other words is the v8 installer in the current folder the latest 8.04 version? I'm new to Win7 having just left XP, so am being extremely cautious I know. At least I found out how to view hidden files. Makes me almost want to go back to DOS.

The "C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installer" folder... The last TMG8 installer that you used should be in this folder. Once you retrieve the installer, you should delete this folder. You can also download the installer from the Wholly Genes website.

You do not delete the "C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8" folder. That is a data folder created by the program and has nothing to do with the installer.

Problem: TMG8 v.8.04 will not open [it opened two days ago. I've not added any programs.]
When I click on my desktop TMG8 icon, nothing happens.
If I right-click the icon and "Open" or "Open as administrator", nothing happens.

Things I tried to do:
I tried the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter twice. no luck.

I tried to Uninstall the program through Control Panel > Programs and Features > The Master Genealogist v8.04.000 and intended to start over with a download from www.whollygenes.com, but during the Uninstall process a message appears:
"Could not update the .ini file C:Program Files (X86) The Master Genealogist v8 TMG_Updater ini. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."
Tried that Uninstall process four times. Same results each time.

I did verify that the .ini file in that file path exists. I am signed in as Administrator and was able to see the file name.
What do I try next to get my TMG program to work again?
Many thanks.

Bill Martin Denver, CO

Follow my instructions in the topic linked above and manually remove all remnants of TMG8 program installations. (Do not mess with the data folders. They have nothing to do with installing the program.) Then download the installer from the Wholly Genes site and reinstall.

Jim, just to be sure I understand your written instructions:

In the first paragraph after the divider %%%%%%%%%% When you say "...first uninstall any existing TMG8 installation."

does that mean:

First, use Control Panel > Programs and Features to uninstall The Master Genealogist v8

Then, use the Start > Search box to find all tmg8 and The Master Genealogist files...and delete them?

After that I would then proceed with each of your detailed explanations of how to delete remnants.

Do I understand correctly?

-Bill

Bill -

Use the Control Panel Uninstall a Program to uninstall v8. Then go directly to Jim's linked message above and follow his instructions to the letter, including re-installing to the same path. You do not want to willy-nilly start deleting v8 files and folders from the Start menu and inadvertently delete your three data folders. They are not involved in either the install or uninstall of v8. Jim covers all the bases in his message.

Virginia

I'm running Windows7.

When I went to Control panel > Programs and Features >The Master Genealogist v8, clicked on it and clicked Uninstall, the process started with a screen that said "Please wait while Windows configures The Master Genealogist v8" and ran for about 30 seconds until it stopped with a screen that said:

"Could not update the ini file C:Program Files (X86) The Master Genealogist v8TMG_Update.ini. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

I'm logged in as Administrator and I was able to access the file. It shows:

[General]
AppDir=C:Program Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8
CheckFrequency=2
CompanyName=Wholly Genes Software
ApplicationName=The Master Genealogist v8
ID={C8EC1D99-3825-4952-8EA8-7FE4620204E9}
ApplicationVersion=8.04.0000
DownloadsFolder=C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installer
URL=http://www.whollygenes.com/files/upgradev8/updates.txt

Now what?

-Bill

I logged on as Administrator and followed all the steps in Jim's instructions for deleting remants of TMG8.

Then, I downloaded tmg8setup.exe. It downloaded by default into C:UsersAdministrator.DELLPC1Downloadstmg8setup.exe [i'm logged on as Administrator]

The instructions said to drag that .exe file onto the Desktop, which I did.

Then, I was supposed to "... delete the installer folder". But there was no "installer folder". The exe file was in a Downloads folder that contained other [non-TMG] files, so I did not delete the Downloads folder.

The install instructions say "Be sure to install usng the same path as previously used...". But the Setup Wizaed did not give me any option to choose a path. The Wizard chose the path C:Program Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8tmg8.exe

The install process seemed to proceed OK and a TMG8 icon appeared on the Desktop.

When I double-clicked to open it, nothing happened. When I right-clicked to "Run as Administrator", nothing happened.

I looked in Control Panel > Programs > The Master Genealogist v8, selected it and clicked Repair. Processing took place, but the program still wouldn't open.

Now what should I try?

-Bill

If you used the typical installation (not custom) both times, the installation path should have been the same. Try bypassing the desktop shortcut and go directly to the program files location - C:Program Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8 - and doubleclick on the tmg8.exe file.

Virginia

Hmmm. Very odd. C:Program Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8 has a file in it named tmg8. Right clicking on it and selecting Propertiers shows that it is an Application (.exe) file. Size: 45, 416 KB.

But the screen also says the file was last modified 5/2/2012 8:30PM. Shouldn't it be dated and time-stamped this morning [when I created it] ?.

-Bill

I forgot to tell you, I first did as you said "Try bypassing the desktop shortcut and go directly to the program files location - C:Program Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8 - and doubleclick on the tmg8.exe file."

Nothng happened.

-Bill

Hmmm. Very odd. C:Program Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8 has a file in it named tmg8. Right clicking on it and selecting Propertiers shows that it is an Application (.exe) file. Size: 45, 416 KB.

But the screen also says the file was last modified 5/2/2012 8:30PM. Shouldn't it be dated and time-stamped this morning [when I created it] ?.

-Bill

Bill,

You didn't create it, but rather you installed it. When you install a program the date stamp is not changed. That is the correct date for TMG8.04.

Bill -

What is the date on the v8 installer file (current trial version) you downloaded from Wholly Genes? If v8 was uninstalled by Fixit, I would assume the coast was clear for you to simply execute that downloaded file (nothing to drag to the desktop) and install the current version. Did you try running it not as an Administrator?

I expect Jim is busy working on the next update but he maybe he can figure out what is going on.

Virginia

The Properties of the desktop icon tmg8setup show:

Created 1/28/2013 9:28AM Size: 47.1 MB (49,462,926 bytes)

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'll log off of Administrator and run as a mere mortal human..

THen Uninstall again (using Fixit if necessary) and execute the downloaded tmg8setup.exe file without dragging to the Desktop.

-Bill

I had to do a reinstalled of TMG 8 today (I can not print charts using Visual Chartforms but that's another issue). I too could not install. It got hung up at the Install window. I followed Jim Byram's instructions and the installation worked. Note that I saved and ran install from my download folder and didn't move to desktop. I had not issues doing it that way. I think the key issue was deleting C:Documents and Settingsuser account nameLocal SettingsApplication DataProgramsThe Master Genealogist v8. Even though the folder didn't contain anything that lingering folder seemed to be the issue. I had no TMG folders in the virutal store.

I have Windows 7.