Judi

8.04 update failure

Bill -

What is the date on the v8 installer file (current trial version) you downloaded from Wholly Genes? If v8 was uninstalled by Fixit, I would assume the coast was clear for you to simply execute that downloaded file (nothing to drag to the desktop) and install the current version. Did you try running it not as an Administrator?

I expect Jim is busy working on the next update but he maybe he can figure out what is going on.

Virginia

The Properties of the desktop icon tmg8setup show:

Created 1/28/2013 9:28AM Size: 47.1 MB (49,462,926 bytes)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You asked: Did you try running it not as an Administrator? Yes.

I logged on with my Standard User account [not my Admin account].

Downloaded the tmg8setup.exe file from WhollyGenes "Download a 30 day Free Ttrial".

After the download, I tried to open that file directly from its file path C:UsersbillDpwnloadstmg8setup.exe but got a screen saying:

Failed to write in file "C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installertmg8setup.msi." Access is denied.

-----------------------------------------

Then I tried to open the setup.exe file directly from its file path using Run as Administrator. The program seemed to install but when I tried to open TMG8 from it's new Desktop icon, nothing happened.

What should I try next?

-Bill

Bill -

Did the installer seem to go through all its steps and does the ProgramFiles (x86) folder for v8 seem to be fully populated? Could it be a permissions issue with that folder?

If you don't have hidden files and folders and file name extensions set so you can view them in Windows Explorer you can do that from the Start button. It makes working in the Windows Explorer a lot easier.

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Personalization, and then click Folder Options.
Check 'Show hidden files, folders, and drives'
UNcheck: Hide extensions for known file types
2. Click the View tab
3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives
Virginia

Virginia, I missed answering your first question:

"Did the installer seem to go through all its steps and does the ProgramFiles (x86) folder for v8 seem to be fully populated? Could it be a permissions issue with that folder?"

No, it seemed to get finished with the Install quite quickly.

Here are the contents listed in the Program Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8 folder:

13 folders named apps through wordproc and 72 files named app.ini through wwipstuff.dll

The TMG8 folder Properties shows its >total< contents as :

Size: 164MB (172,065,898 bytes)

Size on disk: 166MB (174,776,320 bytes)

-Bill

Virginia, as for your question "Could it be a permissions issue with that folder?", it has taken me a while to find the answer.

I looked at that TMG8 folder's Properties and two tabs seem pertinent.

The "Sharing" tab shows that folder is not shared.

The "Security" tab shows five "Group or User Names"

Creator Owner

System

Administrators

Users

TrustedInstaller

Under each one of those five are various things each is allowed to do:

Full control

Modify

Read and execute

List folder contents

Red

Write

Special permissions

I've never messed with those settings - unless something has modified them, the settings are the default settings that have always been there. If you have specific permissions that I should verify, I'll be glad to do that.

-Bill

Problems reinstalling v8 are caused by the installer's refusal to install where there is evidence of an existing installation. Clearing out the remnants of the earlier installation fixes that problem. Having Windows Explorer enabled to see hidden files and folders and file name extensions helps with removing those remnants and is generally a helpful practice when using Windows Explorer.

Apparently you have successfully installed the program but the problem now is with the desktop shortcut not starting the program. I don't know if that is an installer problem or has to do with your Windows environment. Have you tried rightclicking on the shortcut and trying some of those options? Does TMG v8 start from the Start menu?

Virginia

Problems reinstalling v8 are caused by the installer's refusal to install where there is evidence of an existing installation. Clearing out the remnants of the earlier installation fixes that problem. Having Windows Explorer enabled to see hidden files and folders and file name extensions helps with removing those remnants and is generally a helpful practice when using Windows Explorer.

I've enabled every 'hidden file or folder' option you suggested and removed every remant that Jim Byrim's instructions said to look at.

Apparently you have successfully installed the program but the problem now is with the desktop shortcut not starting the program. I don't know if that is an installer problem or has to do with your Windows environment. Have you tried rightclicking on the shortcut and trying some of those options?

I tried the three that looked likely to help: Open; Troubleshoot Compatibility; and Run as Administrator. I didn't see anything ele that looked pertinent. Did I miss something? None of those cured the problem.

Does TMG v8 start from the Start menu?

No.

-Bill

Bill -

The following may be moot if you finally have a successful install, but I noticed in rereading the thread that there appears to be some confusion between the Downloads folder and the Installer folder. The installer folder is a v8 remnant. If you were going to reuse that original installer you would drag it to the desktop to save it before deleting that folder, as Jim suggested. And you would only do that if it were the latest version - v8.04. If you downloaded the latest trial version into your downloads folder and used that, there is no need to keep the original installer in the v8 installer folder and it should be deleted along with its contents as a remnant.

In message #17 above, you wrote:

"The instructions said to drag that .exe file onto the Desktop, which I did.

Then, I was supposed to "... delete the installer folder". But there was no "installer folder". The exe file was in a Downloads folder that contained other [non-TMG] files, so I did not delete the Downloads folder."

In Bob's instructions note the v8 installer folder path (not the Downloads folder) to which he refers:

"Drag the installer from the installer folder to your desktop so that you can use it. Only do this if the installer is the latest version. Then delete the installer folder.
Win7 or WinVista
C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installer
or
WinXP
C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installer"

Re the desktop icon not opening TMG, I assume you rebooted after what seemed like a good install - or probably have rebooted by now. Rebooting after a TMG install is always a good idea.

Let us know how it's going -

Virginia

Bill -

The following may be moot if you finally have a successful install, but I noticed in rereading the thread that there appears to be some confusion between the Downloads folder and the Installer folder.

You are absolutely correct, Virginia. Over the past 4 days, when I did a Start>Search for tmg8setup.exe, the only place it showed was in the Downloads folder. But see my next comment...

In message #17 above, you wrote:

"The instructions said to drag that .exe file onto the Desktop, which I did.

Then, I was supposed to "... delete the installer folder". But there was no "installer folder". The exe file was in a Downloads folder that contained other [non-TMG] files, so I did not delete the Downloads folder."

In Bob's instructions note the v8 installer folder path (not the Downloads folder) to which he refers:

"Drag the installer from the installer folder to your desktop so that you can use it. Only do this if the installer is the latest version. Then delete the installer folder.

Win7 or WinVista

C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installer

If this Installer folder existed during the past 4 days,...I sure didn't find it. Today [31 Jan] I went to that location....and there was the Installer folder. There was no tmg8setup.exe file in it, so I deleted the Installer folder. There was an .msi file and one other file (I don't remember the name) that I deleted with the Installer folder. The tmg8setup.exe icon is still on my Desktop. [i guess I can delete it if we're done working on this "TMG8 Won't Start" task.

or

WinXP

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installer"

Re the desktop icon not opening TMG, I assume you rebooted after what seemed like a good install - or probably have rebooted by now. Rebooting after a TMG install is always a good idea.

Let us know how it's going -

Virginia

Yes, I've rebooted a lot.

As of now, [31 Jan] TMG8 and my main database seem to be working. Somehow, that main .pjc database wound up in a folder

C:UsersbillMy DocumentsThe Master Genealogist v >7< Projects. I've no idea how. I don't even have v7 installed on my computer any more. This folder must be a "remnant".

All my .sqz files are there as well C:UsersbillMy DocumentsThe Master Genealogist v >7< Backups. My TMG8 program lists no files at all in its Backups folder.

What is the correct file path for me to move these .sqz files into? C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8Backups ? Or is it:

C:UsersbillMy DocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8Backups?

And while we're at this file path topic, is this where my tmg8.exe file goes?

C:Program Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8tmg8.exe?

Virginia, you've been most patient and persevering the past several days.

My deep thanks to you for all your advice and guidance.

-Bill

Bill -

If you finally had v8 up and working it was not appropriate today to delete that folder - and I sure hope deleting it now hasn't caused further problems. Deleting that folder was part of the original uninstall process - and, as I prefaced my message, deleting it was moot (not applicable) if you were back in business. So, if you did delete it, is everything still working? (I'm afraid to ask ).

Go into your projects Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced and see where you have your folder locations set. If they are set to v7 (perhaps from your v7 backup into v8), correct them to the appropriate v8 locations. Note you must do this for each project you have.

It's really important and helpful to know where all your data is located - not just your projects and backups, but your layouts and other data files. In v8, go to the top menu and click on Help / Access Folders to see where your three data file storage folders are located. You should also read the Help topic' Data File Storage', and for more info download my pdf article on v7 data file storage here. It is the same for v8.

Virginia

I wouldn't think so either...but TMG8 no longer starts with the msconfig Starting Selection set to Normal Startup.

TMG8 >will< start with msconfig Starting Selection set to Selected Startup - with only the boxes checked for Load System Services and the box Use Original Boot Configuration. TMG8 will NOT start with a check in the box Load Startup Items.

To rephrase all that:

TMG8 DOES start, but only in Selected Startup mode with no check in Load Startup Items.

-Bill

I was using msconfig because my Windows 7 operating syatem wouldn't open [so I couldn't get to TMG] and I hoped I could find a way to detect the problem.

As it all turned out, Virginia, after two days of work with Microsoft and Microsoft-related associates, I found that I had six registry locations that SHOULD have had something in them - but they were blank.

I've no idea why. No programs were installed. All I'd done was try a variety of things to get Windows to open. One of those attempts must have wiped out these registry values.

And, according to what I read, there was no way to fill them with proper data – except to reinstall Windows 7 [my operating system].

Doing that would result in wiping out all my programs and data files. So I dutifully backed them up on a newly-bought USB portable storage device.

I monitored the backup process for a long time and it seemed to be going OK. But when I tried to restore it today…the storage device had none of my files in it.

That was my fault for not verifying that the files had, in fact, gotten transferred before I reinstalled Windows 7. But it looked like it was going so well. Wrong, Bill.

Today I’m reinstalling all my software and restoring my data from a USB thumb drive on which I’d backed up most of my data [including TMG] a few weeks ago.

A tough break. But that’s life.

Today, I downloaded TMG8 from the WhollyGenes website and installed it. Now, I’m about to restore my TMG data file.

If I understand correctly, I should put that .sqz file in C:UsersbillDocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8Backups

IS THAT CORRECT? I don’t want to mess this up –iI’s my last gasp.

-Bill

Bill -

I am so sorry to hear of your problems. I would hate to think of having to restore my operating system and all my programs. Maybe this will sort out your v8 problems and you can get on with your genealogy.

The default location you have for the .sqz files is correct.

Virginia