JimF

Restoring backup file using TMG v7.04 and Parallels 7 and Windows XP

I recently installed Parallels 7 on my iMac along with Windows XP and TMG v7.04. After reading Mr. Gilbert's article on data paths and restoring projects, I created the data path as called for in the article and then attempted to restore a project after first copying it to Documents/The Master Genealogist v7Backups. The restore process went well until the last step entitled "Finish". Then I got the message: "DynaZip UnZip error: Error creating output file (Problem extracting file(s))." The message required me to click "Ok" which brought up the following message: DynaZip Unzip Error: Error creating output file." This message also called for me to click "Ok". Doing so brought back the first message and the inevitable loop. The only way I found to escape the loop was to close "Windows."

Can anyone give me an idea of what has happened and how this might be rectified?

Thanks.

Jim

Jim

The path you are showing for backup in your post does not appear to be the default Windows XP path. You show a forward slash / in one part and a black slash in another.

The default path for backup folder on a WinXP installation should be

C:Documents and SettingsusernameMy DocumentsThe Master Genealogist v7Backups where username is the user name of the account in your WinXP virtual machine

Since it appears you don't have the correct path for the backup folder it is possible you also have the incorrect path for the project folder.

The default path for project folder on WinXP should be

C:Documents and SettingsusernameMy DocumentsThe Master Genealogist v7Projects

Please review Restoring Projects in my article. Also don't attempt to key in paths in TMG preferences, use the browse ellipsis […] button and navigate to the folder and select it.

Additionally from the path you are showing in your post it is not entirely clear that you have created a data_paths.txt file, if you have it should be located in the TMG program folder.

For XP it should be C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v7

For a simpler approach you might want to use the method John Cardinal recommends in this post

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=13376&p=53181

Edited by ggilbert1

Glenn, thanks for the reply and help. I have to take a break for a few days and will then get back to this and let you know what happens.

Jim

Glenn, thanks so much for your help. I double checked the paths and had to make the corrections you suggested. TMG works very well right now.

I run TMG7 under Parallels8/Windows XP and it is usually the only Windows program I use.

I kept the default TMG7 paths excepting those of the files to be used mainly outside Windows: "Export" and "Report Output".

The "Exhibits" folder is also customized.

So far I have had no problems with this, but it is a recent (abt 2 months) experience. Do you think I may have any troubles with my option with these paths?

This is my only concern, because the experience with TMG7 under Parallels8 has been very, very good. And the use of Coherence and Cristal mode (Parallels), makes TMG look almost like any OS X app.

If you have not had any problems than you are probably OK. If you send a report to Word and see a Conversion error #14, or no error but when you open the file it is empty and file size is 0Kb, you’ll need to set the report output back to the Windows side, likewise with exports, if you attempt an export and TMG appears to be spinning its wheels or goes not responding then you’ll also need to send exports to the Windows side.

FWIW the report system in TMG 8 is completely different and I have no problems sending reports to the Mac side they open in Word 2011, I just tested a GED and Excel export to the Mac side with no problems.

MacBookPro 1,1, OS X 10.6.8, Parallels 6, Win 7 Pro (32 bit), TMG 8.04

Thank you for your input.

I tested the reports on Mac side with formats pdf, txt, rtf, html, jpg, Word for Mac, Word for Windows v.8. In fact, so far I had the problem you described with rtf only. I open the doc files with Pages, having set the "Prompt to open file output" to "Always ask". I have also exported several ged files to the Mac side without problems.

So far, so good... If I get any troubles, I will finally upgrade to TMG8. I had noticed that the report system in TMG8 is different, but I did not know about that friendlier behavior with Macs.

Sounds good. It seems Parallels improves communications between the guest OS and OS-X with each upgrade.