Chappy

Will not start

I reinstalled TMG v8 again, it seemed to install fine with no error messages. Now I am back where I was in the first place. I click to open the program. The little circle appears for about 1/2 second then nothing. Like the minute it opens it crashes?

Chappy

stuck in limbo without TMG!

Hi Virginia!

I was reading a previous topic started by Bill who seemed to have had a similar problem. Twards the end he talked about getting TMG to start after changing a startup setting in msconfig. LIGHTBULB! Earlier this week I was getting rid of a sneaky Mallware that hides & the instructions for getting rid of it included unchecking it in msconfig after going from normal startup etc etc. Anyway I went back in and changed back to Normal startup and TMG loads and RUNS!

So the moral of the story is "Most problems are self inflicted!"

Chappy

Try the Microsoft fix in my message #4 above. There is an option to have the Microsoft program fix the problem for you and it is quite simple. It may be a better fix than the msconfig workaround. The problem is apparently in a registry setting.

Virginia

So I am not sure I did this right. I ran the fix it and it restarted my computer. I then opened TMG and it ran. I closed it and tried to open it again. Nope! I had to run the fix it again and restart. So did I not do something or do I have to run the fixit everytime I want to run TMG?

If you go back to that Microsoft fix page, it explains that some anti-virus/malware programs will remove the fix - and they have a workaround for that. It may involved editing the registry so it might be easier to find out what program is removing the entry. What anti-virus or anti-malware program are you using?

Virginia

There have been a couple of reports of problems with v8.04 and the Norton Security Suite. The TMG mailing list message here may help in resolving your problem. See the reply to that message at the bottom of that screen for a suggestion when using Norton and TMG. Other TMG users do not have a problem with Norton, so it seems to depend on the individual system.

Virginia

I have turned Norton off and this does not affect whether TMG opens or not. It will start once after booting this computer. It will not start if I close the program and try to reopen it without rebooting.

TMG is the only program this is happening with.

Chappy

Chappy -

Contact WG support (support@whollygenes.com) and refer them to this thread. They may have seen a similar problem.

One more thing to try, though I do not expect it to make any difference. Configure TMG to open with the Welcome Window if you are not doing that now. That option is in Preferences / Program Options / Startup and Exit. / Show Welcome Window. Click OK.

Virginia

After my computer required a restart this morning, I had the same problem with TMG8 refusing to open. Nothing happened when I clicked the icon or used the Start menu. I ran the Microsoft FixIt program and checked the registry for the values shown at the Microsoft website. TMG would open once after each restart, but as soon as I did some typing/editing, TMG would just disappear.

I also tried turning off Norton SONAR and setting TMG to open with the welcome window. Each time, TMG would start once after the restart and suddenly close after I typed a few things.

My computer was set up to open in Normal mode - which Chappy's wasn't. So I changed to Basic mode, and voila, TMG seemed to be working OK. I decided to change back to Normal startup mode and restart my computer again. TMG opened and allowed me to edit a tag. I haven't done much yet, but I think it's still working.

Seems like a strange thing to happen - TMG has always worked flawlessly for me before. Does anyone know what's going on?

KayS

I guess I spoke too soon. Was entering a census tag and TMG vanished without warning. I'll try going back to Basic startup mode for a while.

This is so frustrating!

KayS

OK, for anyone interested. I think the Comcast Constant Guard was the problem. I uninstalled it and now TMG is working properly. There must have been something in an update during the night that messed things up. Long story, but I found a topic online about that program not working with the keyboard that clued me in. I could use the mouse to navigate around in TMG, but couldn't enter any data.

KayS

The welcome window was already showing at startup.

Even though I can start up TMG after rebooting. It immediatley crashes if I attempt to edit or add a record. I did refer this to support@whollygenes.com.

V8.05 will be released soon. It has a new installer that should be less problematic.

What is the symptom of the crash when you try to add or edit a record - an error message or a frozen screen? If a frozen screen, go to Window on the top menu and select 'Center the current window'. That will bring to the front a window that might have opened behind your layout and is waiting for your response. This is usually a permanent fix for that problem.

Virginia