• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Kay Schmidt

Kay Schmidt
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:New England; MD & VA immigrants

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

After my computer required a restart this morning, I had the same problem with TMG8 refusing to open. Nothing happened when I clicked the icon or used the Start menu. I ran the Microsoft FixIt program and checked the registry for the values shown at the Microsoft website. TMG would open once after each restart, but as soon as I did some typing/editing, TMG would just disappear. 

I also tried turning off Norton SONAR and setting TMG to open with the welcome window. Each time, TMG would start once after the restart and suddenly close after I typed a few things.

My computer was set up to open in Normal mode - which Chappy's wasn't. So I changed to Basic mode, and voila, TMG seemed to be working OK. I decided to change back to Normal startup mode and restart my computer again. TMG opened and allowed me to edit a tag. I haven't done much yet, but I think it's still working.

Seems like a strange thing to happen - TMG has always worked flawlessly for me before. Does anyone know what's going on?

KayS

#22 Kay Schmidt

Kay Schmidt
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

I guess I spoke too soon. Was entering a census tag and TMG vanished without warning. I'll try going back to Basic startup mode for a while.

This is so frustrating!

KayS

#23 Kay Schmidt

Kay Schmidt
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

OK, for anyone interested. I think the Comcast Constant Guard was the problem. I uninstalled it and now TMG is working properly. There must have been something in an update during the night that messed things up. Long story, but I found a topic online about that program not working with the keyboard that clued me in. I could use the mouse to navigate around in TMG, but couldn't enter any data.

KayS

#24 Chappy

Chappy
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

The welcome window was already showing at startup.

Even though I can start up TMG after rebooting. It immediatley crashes if I attempt to edit or add a record. I did refer this to support@whollygenes.com.

#25 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

V8.05 will be released soon.  It has a new installer that should be less problematic.

What is the symptom of the crash when you try to add or edit a record - an error message or a frozen screen?  If a frozen screen, go to Window on the top menu and select 'Center the current window'.  That will bring to the front a window that might have opened behind your layout and is waiting for your response.  This is usually a permanent fix for that problem.

Virginia

Win7 Professional x64

#26 Chappy

Chappy
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

It crashes by immediately closing! Wham! It disappears!

#27 Kay Schmidt

Kay Schmidt
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Exactly, TMG just vanishes - no error message, no frozen screen.

#28 Chappy

Chappy
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

I missed Ms Schmidt's entries from earlier until the post today. (I am slow!) So I read her posts and noticed she also had Comcast as her ip. I uninstalled Constant Guard and TMG appears to be working as perfect as before this problem started. My fingers are crossed and I thank you Kay Schmidt!

Chappy

#29 ggilbert1

ggilbert1

Glenn Gilbert

• Senior Members
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Main surnames: Anderson, Gilbert, Graham, Vigne

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

The offending program is called Antilogger SDK and is installed as part of Comcast Security and Anti-Virus package, it installs silently in the background, even if you are not or think you are not using Comcast Constant Guard it's installed. It also has been causing problems with other programs.

See http://forums.comcas...dk/td-p/1575005

Edited by ggilbert1, 23 February 2013 - 08:26 PM.

Glenn Gilbert
Gilbert-Genealogy

#30 Geoffrey Barber

Geoffrey Barber
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Research in Sussex and Kent in England

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I am finding TMG is slowly dying at the moment. It is taking a long time to open the database. I have a second copy on a laptop and I have the same problem there. I use Second Site on the laptop and it took 38 minutes to run to create my website - normally it is a few minutes.

Once the file is open everything works fine. Seems the problem has to do with the opening of files.

I get the same issue when I exit the program and choose to backup. TMG goes into a "not responding" mode for 30 seconds or more and then finally wakes up and does the backup. Definitely something to do with the opening and closing of files.

The only other time I experience this slow response is when I put editing in the text in the Memo fields - it takes a long time to process the edited text when I exit the memo field editing box.

Can anyone give me some ideas on how to fix this?

#31 amaston

amaston
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

HP updated my machine the other night and I can no longer open TMG 8.x. This happened a month or so ago and I restored to a prior version. Clearly HP is going to keep updating my machine. I tried the Microsoft msi fix. No luck. Any other thoughts?  I also tried turning off Norton.  Still nothing.  Same symptoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users