Sign in to follow this  
Joe Cummings

AE optional report selection

I make extensive use of the "AE" sentence variable in many tags. Would like to be able to optionally designate show only the age year or the age ymd in reports, charts, etc. I suspect this is a "wish" list item since I do not think this exists.

It helps to read help which answers your question about what is possible.

Variables (Event Tags) topic

"The AE variable will produce an exact age (years, months and days) if both dates are complete. If one or both tags contain approximate dates, the AE variable will only output years.

There is no variable that will always output years irrespective of the completeness of the dates."

I suspect this is a "wish" list item since I do not think this exists.

Hi Joe,

As Jim notes, and Help states, you are correct, both of what you would like are wishes. There is no age variable which will "always" give YMD, and there is no age variable which will "always" give only years.

The standard "work around" most of us use is based on the concept that once you have established a birth date, then an age on a given date for a given event is fixed (i.e. not variable). Thus, for example, those of us users who only want years can either locally modify that event's sentence to replace the age variable with the years as text, or use a sentence without an age variable but which expects the age to be (optionally) included in the memo. Not as automatic, but such work arounds can produce the output as you wish it.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thanks Jim and Mike,

I realized the difference between AE and A. Just wanted to make sure I did not miss some option on reports to interpret AE as an A. Similar to print Memos, Select place fields, Include IDs, etc.

Joe