Rosanna

Distorted descendant indented chart

I had something similar to this before and the solution was to make sure my hidden files box is not checked. " use dont show hidden files and folders" I looked at this. This may be related to my Word template as I have a continuous line I cant get rid of and it comes up on this page. I cant resolve this.

I tried to paste an example in the drop down box and it was ok - ot distored..

I get "XE and Places". in the first 7 entries on the page and the rest are ok. The rest shows dots linking the generation lines.

It also shws up in green ink and I never use green text.

Any ideas please? It seems to be more than the contiuous line which is a word problem.

However, this morning when I tried again with different names I get a chart with "unknown person.". But I can get a descendant indented narrative with no problems.

regards

Rosanna -

Did you try the Word fix that seemed to work before? That earlier message is here:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=14830&do=findComment&comment=60017

The 'unknown person' problem often relates to the surety settings in the report definition screen. In the descendant indented chart go to the General tab / Surety and make sure that both 'No threshold' and 'Include blank surety' are ticked.

Virginia

Hello Virginia.

Using V7.04 on Win 7, 32 bit

Yes blank surety and no threshold are on/ticked.

I went into an old back up file on another external hard drive and I do not get the (XE Places) ,but the lines are still coloured and I have dots between lines as spaces. I don’t use colour in anything I am doing so can’t understand the coloured line.

Also once I saved this to a "macro document" I didn’t get any further problems with saving in Word although the macro problem may still be an issue.

What I have done so far.

1,Rechecked hidden files –“don’t show hidden files” is checked.

2, I have done some maintenance. I checked “optimised “and found one potential problem but that didn’t make a difference. I rebooted and tried to get a chart. Still the same.. I also did a check on “validate file integrity.

3. I have checked this forum and help menu

4. I looked up repair function. I see that the repair function is now built in. I used to do a repair manually and found problems (earlier versions)

5 No problems with descendant indented narrative report and journal report

I don’t know what else I can do. If it wasn’t for the (XE Places) problem I would be looking at my other Word problems.

There is one other possibility. I am using “ endnote” citation software and when I get my chart I sometimes get a server error for “cite while you write” which is part of this package. . I can’t see any incompatibility issues in the forum. Also I am reasonably sure I have done charts after I got this programme.

Any more ideas please? many thanks

Rosanna -

Apparently you are seeing the hidden formatting codes in Word. In Word, go to File / Options / Display and see if there is a checkmark in 'Show All formatting marks'. If so, uncheck that and see if it helps.

Virginia

What would we do without you Virginia.

I hate to admit this but when I went into display I saw that there was also a "display hidden text" box and it was ticked. I had previously gone linto "show "hidden files and folders" in the general tab from memory as my first step in troubleshooting. I just went back to the link you gave me above from my post in September and you clearly showed how to go into word options. I thought I knew which lot of hidden files and folders were in question and didnt open it. I cant believe all this stress for not "reading/listening properly" not to mention wasting your time. I am so sorry.

Now you may be interested to know that both these boxes (hidden files and formatting) were ticked and both are a problem. I did some testing and removed hidden files and left formatting and it was the same, and vice versa. So both had to be unticked.

Once again thank you so much.

Just to add that the lines are still dark green but this wont matter. Also what is interesting is that I havent got any of the other boxes in htis category ticked such as show tab and show spaces yet they do show up in my documents and these are necessary for proofing. The" show spaces" in particular have been invaluable. Strange.

Edited by Rosanna