Bernard

Install issue

Hello, your Dorothy Turner has been helping me try and re-install TMG8.04 on my Windows 7 PC. I'm posting this because I've found no other posts that refer to the same issue. I had no trouble installing TMG8 (UK edition) when first purchased in Oct 2012 for the first time, nor importing the sqz backup file. Note that this was not an upgrade but an original purchase. I had an earlier version of TMG under XP on an old laptop now defunct. I had not accessed TMG for a few months and a few weeks ago I noticed that the shortcut on my desktop didn't work and that TMG8.exe had disappeared from my PC (it was not in the Recycle bin). With Dorothy's help I tried re-installation but up to now it has been unsuccessful. I know all about hidden folders/deleting all occurrences of The Master Genealogist V8 (excluding the usersdocument folder) etc. etc. However, I have now tried literally dozens of times to reinstall. The installer runs fine until the final screen where pressing the INSTALL button does absolutely nothing. It's inactive so the installation gets no further than this. What I've been advised is that a UAC prompt should come up behind the installer screen and that there should be a blinking icon on the Taskbar. However on my PC (Dell XPS 8300) neither of these events occur. I have the very latest release of McAfee SecurityCenter (which has given me no problems in the past) and PC Tools Spyware Doctor whose real-time scanning is turned off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

She is Wholly Genes' Dorothy Turner, not mine.

You could try something like Revo uninstaller.

If you have worked through my topic and completely cleaned up any remnant program installation residue, then the only remaining option is to use Regedit and to remove every specific key (that has to do with either TMG or the installer) that has the text "The Master Genealogist v8". That will let the installer work even if some residue has been missed. (I suspect that only one key having to do with the installer needs to be deleted but have no idea which key that is.) This is dangerous if you don't know what you is doing.

What about Revo uninstaller?

Thank you for your reply. I have found the text "The Master Genealogist v8" in the registry in the following three places:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT->VirtualStore->MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Wow6432Node->Wholly Genes Software->The Master Genealogist v8

HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software-<Classes->VirtualStore->MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Wow6432Node->Wholly Genes Software->The Master Genealogist v8

HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Wholly Genes Software->The Master Genealogist v8

I have downloaded Revo Uninstaller but cannot see how this tool can help with a program (tmg8.exe) which is not already installed. I am not experienced with manually editing the registry. Perhaps someone might kindly advise, or suggest another tool.

Thank you.

You can probably find the text "The Master Genealogist v8" in the registry 50+ times. You want to delete the keys that have exclusively to do with TMG8. There are probably about dozen of those.

If you can't do it, you need to ask someone who is comfortable using Regedit to help you.

I have run Revo Uninstaller Pro and all fragments of The Master Genealogist v8 have been removed from the registry. The re-install of the trial version however continues to fail as before. The INSTALL button remains inactive on the last wizard screen.

In addition, I have noticed that the install wizard is omitting the screen which (originally) provided the option to install for me (the user) or for ALL users. The installation path defaults to C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist (x86).

At the suggestion of Virginia Blakelock of Wholly Genes (who has been most helpful and sympathetic throughout this saga) I have successfully installed (and unlocked) tmg8 on my wife's Win7 PC without any problems, but this is a first-time installation, unlike my scenario.

The only "The Master Genelogist v8" folder that remains on my PC is my UsersDocuments folder which I have been advised is not relevant.

Should I delete this and try again? I have everything backed up of course.

Thank you.

Revo should have cleaned out the registry so the security software still needs to be eliminated as a possible problem.

I appreciate your kind words. Note that we moderators are just users of TMG, volunteering help and not associated with WG.

Virginia

The INSTALL button remains inactive on the last wizard screen.

Are you responding to the UAC prompt from the operating system?

I have noticed that the install wizard is omitting the screen which (originally) provided the option to install for me (the user) or for ALL users. The installation path defaults to C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist (x86).

This says that there is a remnant program folder. That is the only reason that the installer would not offer the all users/single user choice.

Again, use my posted topic on doing a clean install and look for the remnant.

The most likely places are the VirtualStore and the single user location.

C:Usersuser nameAppDataLocalVirtualStoreProgram Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8

or

C:Usersuser nameAppDataLocalProgramsThe Master Genealogist v8

Also be sure to delete the installer folder.

C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installer

A UAC prompt only appears if I save the installer to the desktop and then run as an administrator, otherwise no UAC prompt appears after downloading and running the installer. The only The Master Genealogist v8 folder that exists prior to install is c:usersUSERMy DocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8. The other named folders do not contain The Master Genelaogist v8. I'm clearly not going to win this one and have decided to purchase a fresh copy of tmg8 and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Bernard,

Buying a fresh copy of TMG isn't going to help -- you will end up with the same installer that's not working now. Jim is the expert on installer issues, let him help you.

You can always download a fresh copy of the latest installer... for no cost. Go to the Wholly Genes website and download the 'trial' installer. Buying a new copy of TMG will get you the exact installer that you can download for free.

TMG v8.05 should be released shortly and will have an installer that won't get hung up by existing installation remnants. It has been simplified and also will only install an 'all users' installation to try and avoid these sort of problems.