TWagner48

Count Tags by Person

I am trying to count the number of custom census tags by person. My thought is that I want to set a custom flag that contains the current number of census tags for each individual. I am using TMG 8.04. Am I trying to do the impossible?

You can't do it all at once, but can with multiple runs of a report. You can have the Secondary Output of some of the reports set a specific single value to a flag. So you could run the same report multiple times, first with a condition of "number of your census tags" equals '1', and have the report set the value of the flag to '1'. Then run it again with "number of your census tags" equals '2', and have the report set the value of the flag to '2'. Then number equals '3', and set the value to '3'. And so forth.

But this would be a static value, and if you later added or deleted a tag, the flag value would not be updated unless you remembered to do so manually. Or reran the above series of reports.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael, Thank you very much for the response. You confirmed my fears. Can't get there from here. Unfortunately I currently have 49 unique custom Census tags and so "multiple" runs would be a vast understatement. What I was hoping for was a way to simply count the number of tags attached to an individual with a given attribute such as GEDCOM = CENS.

Yep, sounds like the way you have set up your tag types would make this not feasible. This is one of the reasons why I am a "lumper" and have only one CensusEnum tag type with generic roles and split memos for the sentences.

Sorry I could not think of anything, but maybe some other user will have a bright idea?