This is the first time that I got an error. When I click on the backup icon or go through the file menu and click on backup, when the program gets to the backup finish, a program error occurs. It says invalid path or file name. When I click on ignore, another message appears that says function argument value, type, or count is invalid. Therefore I am not able to back up my program. I tried to correct this by going into maintenance and ran optimize, also validate file integrity.

Can someone give some advice as to how to correct this error?

Thank you - Chris White

Chris -

What is the backup path and file name? Check the default Backup path in Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced to see if it is current. Note that the Preferences / Advanced settings are specific to a project.

If you are backing up directly to an external medium, try backing up to a file on your hard drive and then copy the .sqz file to the medium.

Virginia

Thank you Virginia, I will look into these issues later when I get home from work. I backup daily directly to the hard drive and then backup to a thumb drive once a week. Once a month I will delete all of the backups on the hard drive except for the latest three. -Chris

Hello Virginia, I checked under advanced in current project options and nothing that had the 160 number (my phone doesn't have the other symbols). My last backup file name is white2013-03-1020-42-37.sqz I'm lost on this.

Check the backup path in Preferences / Advanced and also in the Backup Wizard, step 2 that they are current valid paths. If you are using the defaults in the Backup Wizard, that path should match the path in Preferences / Advanced.

If you post the path that you are using in the Backup Wizard step 2 we could check it for a possible problem.

PreferencesAdv.jpg BackupWiz.jpg

Virginia

I'm a little lost on this. I called the tech number and it appears that I may have maxed out my exhibit space. I have over 1080 images saved internally. I was told to check out John Cardinals tmg utilities and convert my exhibits to external. Thanks and i will letter you know how i make out.

Too many internal exhibits can be problematic. Note also if your exhibits are stored in a multi-folder tree, it is recommended that you backup, restore or move your exhibits outside of TMG. From Help / Restore:

"CAUTION: If your exhibits are stored in a multi-folder folder tree rather than in a single folder, you should not use the Restore Wizard with your exhibits. Maintenance of exhibit folder trees (such as backing up or moving the exhibits) should be done outside of TMG v8."

Exhibit multi-folder trees will be flattened in the Restore.

Virginia

Hi Chris,

There has been a lot of discussion among us TMG users over time concerning the advantages and disadvantages of internal versus external exhibits. Most believe the advantages of external exhibits outweigh any perceived disadvantages. A major advantage is that the basic TMG backup (with options selected to NOT include external exhibits) is much smaller and quicker. Usually one does not add exhibits as often as one is changing the data, and the exhibits seldom change so backing them up separately and less frequently makes sense. Further, if you use SecondSite to create web pages, that software works better with external exhibits.

The reference to John Cardinal's TMG Utility is appropriate, as it can extract all your internal exhibits and make them external in one pass. This should produce a significant reduction in the size of the backup file. Just be sure to set the TMG backup options to NOT include external exhibits, and then backup your external exhibits folder separately outside of TMG.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Hello, thank you to everyone who has tried to help me with this. My problem most likely comes from too many exhibits and exhibits that are too large for my project probably caused the error. I downloaded the John Cardinal utility but my computer kept refusing it saying that it was a dangerous file, etc. After disabling my Norton and the computer still would not let me install it. I searched and played around with the program. One by one I will be changing my exhibits from internal to external. On my desktop I created a folder "TMG Exhibits" and changed the path to this folder. This is where I will store all of my exhibits externally. If anyone has any tips or suggestions about this I am open to anything to make the transition easier. Thanks - Chris

Gee, Chris, the TMG Utility is such a straight-forward program that I have not previously heard of anyone having problems installing. At this point I wonder how much free disk space you have? Do you have so little that there is no room to install? Could that be a problem?

I gave up on the download because the computer didn't trust it. Disk space should be no problem my laptop that I'm using is three months old with 1 TB of HD space. I wished that the system asked me if I wanted to install the program anyway. Perhaps its Win 8? I'm still getting used to it after using XP for years.

Finally corrected the problem by changing some of my exhibits from internal to external and by un-checking save exhibits in step 3 of the backup wizard. Thank you- Chris