Muriel

copying person from one data set to another

Using Windows 7, TMG v 8- I am having trouble copying a person from one data set to another. The latest problem is - Trying to copy Christine ID# 1:1000 . Opening Project Explorer - she comes up ID 7:1008 (no Christine 1:1000 found.) Proceeding anyway to Copy Person under Add and following instructions, "no qualifying person" comes up. What to do?

Muriel

Sine I want to make a fan chart for an individual, I want to create a new data set starting with him who I have recorded in 2 different data sets based on his parents. To do this, I had assumed that I could create a new data set then copy this individual from one of the previous sets. I have made a copy, but I can't see how to enter him in to my new data set. He just gets copied again into the set I have copied from. What am I missing? The help says I can do this, but doesn't say how I get him into the new set!

After I have him entered I will want to add his parents and all of their information.

Marney,

The Copy Person command defaults to copying within the same Data Set. To copy to another Data Set you have to specify that on the Copy Person screen when it opens. I'd guess you didn't do that.

However, why do you need to create a new Data Set in order to create a fan chart? You should be able to do that from the original Data Set.

Marney -

To be clear - the son appears in two datasets - one dataset of his mother's line and another dataset of his father's line. Are these two datasets in the same project?

Now, for your fan chart, you want a dataset which contains the son plus the lines of both parents? I wonder if the Help topic 'Extract from a DataSet' (in Help under Dataset) would do what you want. This copies the people and their records and retains the original dataset.

Virginia