Helmut Leininger

TMG 8.05 - repeat files

Hi,

Problem:

If a person is added and notes for one or more of the events (birth, marriage, death) are typed already in the person add screen, these are not memorized and therefor cannot be repeated by the repeat keys

This is not the case if the note is typed in the appropriate element form (opened by double-click on the birth etc).

Edited by Helmut Leininger

Hi Helmut,

I am sorry, but I don't see what you describe and therefore don't see any issue here.

In other words: F3 pressed in the memo field works for me like a charme - regardless whether on add person screen or in any tag entry screen.

(In order to see a list of the last 15 values entered into that particular field press Ctrl + F3 or on a German keyboard Strg + F3)

F2 does not work in the memo field, however as TMG Help says:

Pressing from many data entry fields will produce a listing of all previous entries in that field.

"many" already implies: F2 does not work in all data fields. So again sorry, but also not an issue for me.

Hi Vera,

maybe I can give a more detailed explanation.

- Notes entered in the Perosn Add screen are not memorized/cannot be seen by subsequent F3 (image notes.jpg), neither in the person add screen nor in the event screen.

- Notes entered in the event screen are memeorized (images notes2.jpg)

- Notes enteterd in the event screen (as in notes2.jpg) can be seen later by F3 also in the Person add screen.

post-4598-0-20502400-1364472338_thumb.jpg

post-4598-0-84150500-1364472348_thumb.jpg

Hi Vera,

As for me it is reproduceable on 2 systems (which use a copy of the same database, of course), is there anything I can send to you?

I have with the sample database, too. When I add the notes field to the Add Person screen (which oroginally is not the case) I have the same problem.

To be more specific: it concerns only the notes. Places are treated correctly.

Hi Helmut,

did you already try to "Initialize Repeat Files" (one of the options under File > Maintenance)? May be that helps.

If you like you're welcome to contact me directly.

Sorry, Helmut, I have tried everything I can think to do (in English) and every non-blank memo from either an add-one-person screen or add-multiple-people screen is included to the repeat list. Even when I am still inside the Add Person screen, if I add a memo to the Birth tag and then move down to the Death tag for that same person and press F3 I get the birth memo I just entered. And Ctrl-F3 shows all the memos that were entered.

Helmut, I downloaded your project and restored it to a special separate folder. I then opened the project (to person ttt Test (69) ) and then did an Add Person. In that Add Person window I entered a memo in the Geburt tag, then moved down to the memo for the Tod tag and pressed F3. The memo I had just added in Geburt was copied.

I cannot make it fail in your own project. Perhaps you could explain the exact steps you take and what you see or do not see at each step?

Hi Michael,

that's strange. The behaviour you describe is exactly what I expected it to be.And it is for everything except the notes.

I will play again trying to find the reason, maybe it has something to do with the "Deutscher Namens-Stil" I am using. I will let you know.

Hi,

I have tested a little bit again.

It has nothing to do with the language or place style or name style. I have also (for testing purposes) deleted all Repeat.xxx files and have them recreated by starting TMG. It did not help.

I started doing the same Michael does (starting from empty repeat files):

- open an add person screen (e.g. add an unrelated person), add a person name

- type something in the name note

- press F3 in the birth note -> "no repeat values found"

- enter something in the birth note

- press F3 in the death note -> "no repeat values found"

- press ok to store the person. The data typed in the notes can be seen.

- try to add another person the same way -> same result as before. (no repeat values)

It seems that the field CNTMEMO in Reapeat.DBF is not set or updated.

Hi,

I just downloaded the latest trial version of TMG and installed it on a PC where TMG had never been installed before. The described problem occurs there too, using the sample project.

Helmut,

as I learned from you, you have this identical issue on 3 different machines project independent.

All of these machines have a fresh installation of TMG v 8.06, correct?

Please also provide:

1) the OS of each machine

2) in which language you installed TMG on each machine

3) for each machine: whether you installed TMG for All users or for single user

4) for each machine: whether you installed TMG as a default installation in the default location or as custom installation in a user defined location

Vera,

it is TMG 8.06 everywhere.

Machine 1: Windows 8 64-bit, updating TMG (since V6)

Machine 2: Windows 8 64-bit, updating TMG, but several tries:

- de-installation + installation (keeps configuration)

- de-installation + delete all TMG - directories in C:Users and its subdirectories + installation

Machine 3: Windows 7 64-bit, new (clean) installation

The installations were always done using the default parameters (the upper selection), the OS language is German.

I'm guessing that the TMG language installed is German as well? Is it possible that language selection has something to do with this?

Dave

Dave,

yes, I am using German language with TMG. With the last new (clean) installation, German was selected automatically. However, When I discovered the problem, I tried to change the language to American English, but it did not help either.

Helmut,

I've tried to duplicate your problem using a newly created project. After getting some initial entry information entered through the data entry I checked to see what the repeat would do. As this was a clean install of TMG8.06, there were no repeat values for any field, even after the initial data entry was complete. As soon as I created and completed a new tag entry though, any subsequent entry had repeat values available.

Have you looked at your files in the UsersxxxxxxDocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8Repeat_files directory? When you add anything does the time stamp of the Repeat.DBF, Repeat.FPT and Repeat_S.DBF change? If you click to see the properties of those files does your account have permissions to make changes?

Dave

Dave,

the file permissions are ok and the files can be written to. Inputs to other fields than Memo in the Add Person form are remembered and can be repeated by F3.

When a Memo is entered via the Birth Event form, it is memorized and can be repeated from the Add Person form, too.

Looking at the file contents, it seems that all values (also typed in the Memo field in the Add Person screen - which cannot be repeated later) is written to Repeat.fpt. But there is no reference from Repeat.DBF to this value, therefor it cannot be repeated. This is kind of guessing because I have no documentation for the structure of (and the links between) these files, I can only see its contents by DBF editor or Hex editor.