Malc C

Issues generating Ancestor chart

Hi,

I'm using the UK silver edition V7 and whilst I can generate and print a decendant chart without issue from the selected focus person, I can't generate an ancestor chart. All I get is just the heading with no entries. Obviously all the links are correct otherwise the decendant chart would not be produced, but I can't for the life of me work out why I can't produce the ancestory chart for anyone in the tree, and would welcome any suggestions or fixes.

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

Malcolm -

If you go to the selected person's grandfather and print a descendent chart, do all the links work down through your focus person? Or are you saying you cannot print an ancestor chart for anyone in your tree? Have you selected the number of generations?

You might try resetting the ancestor report configuration to its defaults using the Delete button under the configuration name.

Note there is a forum for Visual Chartform topics here. You will find many helpful topics and chart examples.

Virginia

Hi Virginia,

I've researched back around 6 generations from our children. If I select the the record for the oldest record as the focus and select the decendant tree the report works and branches down through the tree to my son. But if I select my son as the focus and then select the assendant tree all that gets produced is a small report with the heading, no boxes or tree.

I've tried deleteing the report but it came up with an message about not being able to delete a default report and so I selected the option to revert it to default and still got the same issue. I've also tried different levels for an ascendant report and still the same result.

I'll take a look at the link you gave me.

Malcolm

Malcolm -

If you are using the top-to-bottom configuration, have you tried the left-to-right to see if that works? Also verify that the number of generations is set to more than one - and check that the son's relationship to you is marked Primary.

Virginia

Hi,

Yes I was using top to bottom, but changing the option to left-to-right made no change. I also clicked on primay with my name hilighted when viewing my son as the focus and received a message confirming deletion of the primary connection (or something similar) I confimed this and this removed the entry under the father field. I then double clicked that and selected myself from the list of those availble to re-establish the primary connection and tried the report again, still it only generated just the heading, even with 10 generation selected.

I'm baffled in that a decendant chart from my great, great, great grandmother works, but an ancessor chart, fan chart, in fact any chart other than a decendant chart fails.

My cousin has dent me a GEDCOM file to try and I've imported that and it too does the same thing....

I'm at a loss

Malcolm

Malcolm -

Does the Ancestor chart work in the Sample project, using the default settings (use Delete button and answer Yes to delete)?

Go to the Options tab in the report definition and check the Surety settings. Make sure that both 'No threshold' and 'Include blank surety' are ticked.

Omit Images if you have included them.

We had a problem a few years ago where a user could not generate Fan and Hourglass charts. The problem there turned out to be the length of the project name - several words separated by spaces. Shortening the project name solved the problem. Note that Visual Chartform is separate from TMG and your data is sent via Genbridge from TMG to VCF.

Virginia