I opened TMG this morning, was presented with an option to download updates. I clicked ok, and 10 minutes later, I got an error report that said the download didn't work, but it had also uninstalled TMG from my computer. There are no files left anywhere that I can find. My last backup was about a month ago, so I guess I've lost this last month's work. Needless to say, I'm pretty upset. Is this happening to anyone else?

Yes, simply download the trial version and your data should reappear. I had the same problem today and also last week when I upgraded to version 8.05.

I just encountered the same problem. I don't get to TMG on a regular basis, but do several weeks of marathon sessions about twice a year, during the dog days of summer and again in January/February. So when I went to TMG this morning to start my summer session, I let it update to 8.08, and lost everything. I downloaded the trial version and got it going again, but when I tried to open my main project, it told me that it has to update the project to the latest level, just like when I initially installed TMG 8.0 last year. Thinking that it must have been going to an old, pre-8 database, I refused the update (cancelled). It then set up my normal environment and opened my main database as usual, without any additional action on my part, and without conversion.

My concern is that I may be using an older database, so I produced a report on last edit date, and found that it was in January. I believe that I have added some updates to the database since then, but can't be sure. I back up nightly, but also swap my backup drives to an offsite location, about 30 miles away, about once every 60 days, and my last swap was done in early June, which means my offsite copy would contain any TMG updates/edits from about early April through early June. I really don't have the time or ambition to pick up the offsite copy today, and hesitate to update the database until I know for sure.

So what's going on with this effort by 8.08 to update my database? I cannot find another database on my desktop with a .PJC extension, and keep my TMG databases in a data location of my own choosing along with all my other important data (I've always refused to let Microsoft (currently Windows 7) control where my data is kept, since it is often difficult to find, buried under many folders and pseudo folders, when using their approach). Did TMJ 8.08 default to some other folder and perhaps a new file type for the database?

I had a problem of a similar nature, fixed late last year with help from the kind members of this group. See the thread 'TMG V8 opens with "The file **** does not appear to be a valid PJC file!"'in this forum. Just a few minutes ago I restored the last backp of the PJC file for this project (updated in March), with no change in this behavior.

I'm not proceeding with any more updates until I understand this problem, so please post your suggestions as quickly as possible.

Thanks, Dave Dalton

Hi Dave,

There are two different things that can update: the program, and project files.

TMG Version 8.05 changed the internal way that the program stores and handles roles in tags within the project files. For more details of this major redesign see the posting here. Because of this redesign, the internal format of the files for a project have changed. This is why any TMG version from 8.05 and later which tries to open an earlier project will inform you that it must update the files of your project. Once it has done this, that updated project will not be able to be opened in a version earlier than Version 8.05. That is why it offers to backup that older project before it does the update.

There are also considerable changes/enhancements of the program since Version 8.0. Most of us users would probably recommend upgrading the program to the current Version 8.08, and consider that Version reliable and including several desirable enhancements. For details of the changes to the program since version 8.0, see the Change Log as an RTF file available here. To be sure that the upgrade of the program did occur, when you have opened TMG, choose "About The Master Genealogist" from the Help menu. If the version you are using is the latest, it should display "v 8.08.0000".

Hope this helps explain things,

Michael, thanks for the clarification. Yes, the trial version that I downloaded after the failed update to 8.08 is indeed at 8.08 (I had to re-register after installing the trial version). So if I read you right, my problem is not an older pre-8.0 project database, but simply that TMG wants to upgrade the project to properly support the enhancements to the roles functions. Please confirm, and I will go ahead and update the project when I open TMG again.

Now if Wholly Genes would just fix these various update problems I've suffered over the last several years...

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, TMG needs to upgrade the project to properly support the enhancements to the roles functions.

And the early problems with the new installer introduced with Version 8.0 seem to be fixed by version 8.08.

I'm having a similar problem, but every time I reboot my computer, it deletes the tmg8.exe file and who knows what else. It tells me the program is no longer installed. I have reinstalled, multiple times, have had to (at times) completely remove and reinstall the program. In case you are wondering, yes, I am backing up my files every time I add anything at this point. I am using Windows 7 and have not had any problems until recently. Any suggestions? I get tired of having to reinstall and register and re-enter all my preferences, etc.

What is the actual message informing you the program has been removed - and what is the source of the message - Microsoft Windows or some other program?

Where is TMG v8 installed on your computer (folder name where the .exe file is)? Is that folder removed also or just the tmg v8.exe file? Note that if your projects are in the default location, that folder is not removed in a TMG uninstall (none of the three Data File Storage (DFS) folders are removed in a TMG uninstall). If you are unfamiliar with the location of the DFS folders, see Help on the top Menu; click on Access Folders.

Virginia

When I click on the icon to start the program, it tells me that it can remove that icon for me since the program that the icon refers to is no longer installed on my computer. (Isn't it helpful?) When I go to the location of the program, which is in the c:Program Files directory, most or all of the other files are still there, but tmg8.exe is no longer there. The data files are not removed.

C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8 - and when I reinstall, this is where it places the program again by default. I don't have a C:Program Files (x86) folder that I see.

Betsy

Betsy -

If that is the default for your system, there is probably a reason for it. My installation with v7 x64 is in the x86 folder. Do you have an antivirus program running at startup that could be removing that .exe file?

Virginia

I don't have an x86 folder. No, the antivirus program isn't removing it - at least it isn't in the reports as a threat and if the antivirus program were removing or quarantining it, it would be happening immediately after a scan, not on a reboot.

Betsy,

IMHO there is something started by the Windows registry after reboot that deletes TMG.

Even if it sounds strange, I would try the following:

- install TMG

- unistall TMG without rebooting before

- reboot

- re-install TMG

Maybe we are lucky and this cleans the problem.