Mosey

Witness Issue

Why can't I delete the "Witness" sentence when editing Tags. My reports show the subjects name witnessing their own birth, marriage and death...pretty obvious I would have thought but I don't want it in the reports. Is there a fix for this?

I'm using V8.06

Edited by Mosey

Hi Mosey,

It is not clear to me what you are seeing and where you are seeing it, or what you are trying to delete. For example, I presume you are talking about a Birth tag. Who is assigned the Principal of that tag, and what role is that person assigned, and where is a person a Witness?

To answer my questions, open the Birth tag for edit. At the top of the Tag Entry screen there will be a person's name. Is that the name of the person being born? Second, look directly under the "Tag Type" button to the left of the person's name. What role is listed there? I am really confused about what you are trying to do.

Thank you Michael.

I have imported my "tree" data from an earlier Silver V4.0b UK version which doesn't work with Windows 8 so had to upgrade to V8.06.

When I go into the "Tag Type List" to add for example, Birth, there are two default sentences that would appear in a generated report. The first is shown as "Sentence" and shows [P] was born <[D]> <[L]>, the second shown as "Witness Sentence" shows [W] witnessed the birth of [P] <and [PO]> <[D]> <[L]>. So I go into the Edit tab and in the Roles and sentences tab there are check boxes for Child, Witness and Principle. I try to un-check the Witness check box but a pop up states "The witness role cannot be disabled". An example of how my reports are generated is below.

Alice Harriett1 ASKEW (1911) witnessed the birth of Alice Harriett ASKEW (1911) on 23 Jan 1885 at Weasenham, Norfolk ­. She witnessed the marriage of Alice Harriett ASKEW (1911) and Arthur Richard BUCKLE (6788) in 1908 at Mitford District, Norfolk. She witnessed the New Tag of Alice Harriett ASKEW (1911) on 2 Apr 1911 at Low Street, Weasenham St Peter, Norfolk. She witnessed the death of Alice Harriett ASKEW (1911) in 1978 at Wayland District, Norfolk.

I know I could edit each Principles tags individually but I seem unable to change the default "Tag Type List" so that the generated reports sentence would read something like...P was born on 23 Jan 1885 at Weasenham, Norfolk. P married Arthur Richard BUCKLE in 1908 in Weasenham, Norfolk etc. etc.

So I am trying to edit the Default master Tag Type List so that any printed reports don't generate sentences such as P witnessed the birth of P.

Make sure that you are in Advanced data entry mode. Preferences / Data Entry

You are working in English (UK), right? The sentences that you are trying to change are in English (US)... They are the default sentences. They are just displayed when the Tag Type Definition language is set to English (UK). There is actually no English (UK) sentence.

The Principal and Witness roles cannot be deleted or renamed.

You do not need to edit the Witness role sentences to get correct output. Something is wrong with your data. You seem to have a person who is added as a witness to all of her own tags.

I suspect that someone is going to need to examine your project to determine exactly what's happening.

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. You are probably right about the Principles now being viewed as Witness but this can only be a program error when importing the data from the V4.0b Silver UK edition (TREE-1.SQZ) file to the V8.06 edition I have just purchased. At the moment it looks like I am going to have to delete the whole database of over 8,500 people and start again just to make them all Principle names instead of the program believing they are Witnesses. When I try to create a report such as "Descendent Indented Narrative", every single name on the list witnesses their own birth marriage and death as well as being in their own household during census entries. Surely this should be an easy fix but I welcome any help at the moment, just let me know what information to provide.

Using the Help / Message Manager / Outgoing tab, upload your TMG6 backup to the Wholly Genes server. Let me know the filename once it is uploaded and I'll test the import and check the data.

btw... I just tested import of the TMG 4.0d Sample data set to a current development build and I see no problems. Output an Individual narrative and it looks fine.

Jim,

Thanks for all your help. I have uploaded my V8.06 backup, (probably should have compressed the file first) The file name is My Project X1 2013-04-10 18-17-23.sqz

I have found that if I highlight an individuals event tag (Birth, Occupation, Marriage etc.), press F5, then click "Tag Type" in the Tag Entry box, then on the "Tag Type List" click the select button for the same Tag listing it corrects the way the narrative reports are written. This could be a long fix :(

I have also uploaded the old V4.0b backup file that was imported into the V8.06. File name TMGWTREE1__1.SQZ

Thanks again. Mosey

I imported the TMG4 database. I see nothing wrong with the data or the tag types.

Note that all data is English (US).

The sentence previews in the tags are correct;

The only issue that I see is the report output.

%%%%%%%%%%

The problem is the import and the new role structure. The import code for the TMG4 import was not updated to deal with the new role structure introduced in v8.05. There are over 33,297 role errors because of this.

I'll report the issue and get your TMG4 database to the developer who needs to deal with this.

It should be fixed in v8.08.

Edited by Jim Byram

Thanks Jim,

I still have the TMG V4.0b on my old XP computer. Is there a download to update the import code for the role structure on that version so that if I did a fresh import/backup onto the new V8.06, the role structure would correct itself? Is the developer going to fix my data for me or do I start going through the principle records and manually correct them?

Thanks again

Mosey

The TMG4 import by the current TMG8 version needs to be updated to deal with the change in role structure that was released in v8.05. That will be done after v8.07 is released.

The v8.06 project that you have cannot be fixed. There are 33,297 role errors in the E data table.

The only thing that you can do is to wait for a version of TMG8 that has the TMG4 import code updated and to import your TMG4 data set using that fixed TMG8 version.

%%%%%%%%%%

There is another solution. Give me a short while to see if I can make a usable v8.06 project for you.

I've built a v8.06 project for you. Contact me by clicking on the email link below and I'll send you a link to download the v8.06 backup file.

Jim Byram

Edited by Jim Byram

I also have a nasty witness problem.

I expect that while using the early version (I think 8.04) my database got corrupted. I use a Dutch database and the word for witness in Dutch is Getuige. Today I started with 8.08 (I saw no more error reports from users :)) and after the conversion I now seem to have two kind of witnesses (the US ones and the Dutch ones). When I try to modify or deactivate the US one, I get an English error message saying that I can't and when I try it with the Dutch one (Getuige) I get a Dutch message saying that it is impossible.

This is a big problem since I have a lot of changed sentences in a large database. A side effect of the earlier problems (already in 8.04) is that some of my roles are mixed up, but that is something that I can repair (I have time and (a lot of) patience) but starting all over is not on my preference list. So any help to repair the database and get my back to 1 P and 1 W would be great an very much appreciated.

Thanks, Joop van Beek

P.S. If the above is not clear or more info is needed, let me know.