Sign in to follow this  
rstclair52

Age column

Ok, so this is something that has bugged me for a long time and I kept thinking that it would get fixed but it hasn't. This is the problem. In the Person view I have the age column on. When I record a date for an event that is irregular such as a census page that was recorded over the course of two days (03-04 Jun 1870) the number that shows up in the in the Age column is some random number. In this case -1834. I have a regular date recorded in the Sort Date box and it seems to me that the program when confronted with an irregular date could use the Sort Date number to caculate the number for the Age column. Maybe I am the only one using the Date column and this does not bother anyone else or maybe there is a simple solution to the that I don't know about. If there is please share it with me. Anyway I am finished with my rant now. Thank you for listening. :wallbash:

Maybe I am the only one using the Date column and this does not bother anyone else...

I am just a user like yourself, but I would guess that you are one of the few that uses the "Age" column. (Everybody uses the Date column in some way or another.) And for those that do, you are probably right that it does not bother them.

However, things like this do not get fixed unless they are reported. I did some testing and the problem is when the irregular date begins with a digit. If you had entered "Jun 3-4, 1870" then the Age column would have been left blank, which is what I understand it should be for irregular dates.

I will report this issue to the developers. At least then it might have a chance to get fixed.

As for using the Sort Date, that date is intentionally only used to order the tags for display and narrative output. Users are free to put any dates in that column, and often put something totally unrelated to the "real" date. Using it for computing the Age would not make sense. I think the column is supposed to be blank for irregular dates.

I don't know if you noticed, but this is fixed in the latest version. The Age column is now blank for any irregular date.