Since 8.07's installer is still not compatible with Wine-type shells, I need to downgrade to 7.04, I guess. Unfortunately, I don't have my old serial number. Is there any way/anyone I can contact for that?

Katrina: I believe you can get your v 7.04 serial number from Wholly Genes by contacting support.

Michael: Wine type shell is more along the line of a Windows emulator. Parallels, Fusion, Virtual Box allow the user to create a virtual machine where one installs a guest operating system; a Windows virtual machine requires a copy of Windows.

I contacted support and, after a brief email exchange in which I had to clarify that suggesting I get Parallels wasn't helpful, I was able to get my old serial number. Support also suggested I post to this forum. ^_^

I will note that the latest iteration of v. 8 looked more like it was going to install than the previous iteration did. Previously, the installer froze when it came time to choose between regular and custom install; the buttons to chose didn't work. This time, the error didn't occur until the actual installation was in progress. Maybe the next iteration of TMG 8 will work.

Sharing my experience...:

I am now running TMG 8.08 and as with previous versions, I am more than happy with it and with my Mac solution.

With Parallels in Coherence Cristal Mode and the windows maclook theme provided, TMG runs just like any OS X app.

I have been running TMG under Parallels and Windows XP for some time. I am using TMG v8.07.000. Very few problems have been encountered although there is an annoying occurrence each time I open a project. The process stops and a window pops up stating "Variable 'PROPERTY' is not found. 129 CREATEFLAGSTRING". I hit Ignore and another opens, the second of a string, reading the same with the number 135. This number alternates between 129 and 135 through 28 attempts finally opening with the 29th attempt. This has continued through every TMG version and Parallels versions I have used. Has anyone had to deal with this and found a way to correct it?

On one of the contacts with TMG support I mentioned that I was running TMG under Parallels and was promptly told that they did not support Parallels and ended the call. This call had nothing to do with running it under Parallels but a probably within TMG. There must be enough Mac users of TMG to address such problems. To tell the truth, the only reason I would switch to Mac was because there was a way to run TMG which added quite a bit of cost to make that move!

ccchaney,

I have run TMG under Parallels and Windows XP for a number of years and have never had the problems you referenced, so I can't speak specifically to them. I have had numerous other issues over the years however and the cure has always been the same. Ensure you have a recent backup of both data and configuration, have your license information and a fresh download of the demo version from the Wholly Genes website. You will need to remove all traces of TMG from you system using Jim Byram's instructions (see Glenn Gilbert's earlier post) and then reinstall as if it's a new installation.

Larry

Thanks, all.

I moved everything to the Windows side and that problem disappeared. Thanks again.... especially with the speed involved. Great help.

Charles Chaney

Default TMG v. 8.08 installation with 2 customized folder paths: Exhibits and Backup. No problems at all.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100859272/Captura%20de%20ecr%C3%A3%202013-05-8%2C%20%C3%A0s%2019.16.04.png

Interesting :unsure:

psfHomeDocuments is the equivalent of Y:Documents, which is on the Mac side, it appears to be working for you, I still advise everything except exhibit and backup files be located on the Windows side.

I still have TMG v.7 sitting on the Windows side, where I carefully installed it last year after my migration from PC to Mac. However when I recently upgraded to TMG v.8 I accepted - not willingly... - the default installation path. When I realized that, I was prepared to uninstall and repeat the process following the procedure you recommended. But before that, as I have secure backups of my data, I gave it a try as it was, and so far I felt no need no reinstall.

I must say that I am not an expert, and have only the kind of computer knowledge acquired along many years of computer usage. Sometimes it leeds me to wrong solutions...

On the Parallels "settings -> options -> sharing" I have all options ticked. Perhaps the divide between Mac/Win sides are dimmer, or virtually non existent!

Edited by vabopi

Over time Parallels has improved the communication between OS X and the guest operating system so as you say “the divide between Mac/Win sides are dimmer or virtually non existent;” what is working for a user with Parallels 8 may not work for a user with Parallels 6. Changes in TMG also affect what works. For most users I recommended that most TMG files be on the Windows side.

Once I moved my datafiles over to the Windows side all was fine. Thanks.

I contacted support and, ...Support also suggested I post to this forum. ^_^

I will note that the latest iteration of v. 8 looked more like it was going to install than the previous iteration did. Previously, the installer froze when it came time to choose between regular and custom install; the buttons to chose didn't work. This time, the error didn't occur until the actual installation was in progress. Maybe the next iteration of TMG 8 will work.

Hi Heintz57Kids,

I've been (and am) running TMG under VMWare and want to reclaim disk space and speed so am trying to transfer to using Wine on my Mac instead of VMWare.

Did you ever get TMG8.08 running on the Mac using Wine?

Following the instructions here for TMG 8

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25030

I managed to get it running very well on my linux machine (on Wine 1.4.1) but so far haven't replicated the success on Mac 10.6.8 wine 1.6 using these instructions for Wine http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

I can get it (TMG8.08) to install but possibly still need to override some settings as it isn't really usable, can't edit memos or use the keyboard to access menus, and if I set on horizontal lines all the text is hatched over!

Interested in hearing from anyone with any success in this.

And no, Crossover doesn't help.

Flatly says it is an unsupported ap that wont work and if you ignore that warning and try anyway, the instal is less successful than following the instructions above from the WineHQ AppDB.

My next attempt is going to be to try and get an older version of Wine running on the Mac to see if it was something different between 1.4.1 where I was successful on the Linux and 1.6 the version readily available for Mac, but I'll be floundering as it appears I'll need to work out how to compile source code, something I last did in the 1970s in COBOL, several worlds and decades away from this!!

Over time Parallels has improved the communication between OS X and the guest operating system so as you say “the divide between Mac/Win sides are dimmer or virtually non existent;” what is working for a user with Parallels 8 may not work for a user with Parallels 6. Changes in TMG also affect what works. For most users I recommended that most TMG files be on the Windows side.

Glenn,

I gave up on trying to make TMG run under wine on the mac and bought Parallels 9 to use on my new macbookpro running mavericks.

FYI the Mac/Win divide seems, to me anyway to be for all intents and purposes non existent.

Once I'd set up a mapping to replicate my D:/Lorna/Genealogy directory for consistency across machines and set up datapaths.txt to reflect the correct path, all is working fine.

D:/Lorna/Genealogy is mapped to the appropriate level psf directory.

The only problem I'm having is trying to figure out what some of my keyboard shortcuts should now be and either figuring out where to change the default or retrain myself.

Still working on how to get Ctrl + F3 :ohno:

Genealogy programs are my only remaining use for windows on this machine, my main every day one.

The only problem I'm having is trying to figure out what some of my keyboard shortcuts should now be and either figuring out where to change the default or retrain myself.

Hi Lorna

I haven't made much use of Ctrl+F3 for repeat values, but if P9 is like P6 you can configure a key combination that will send Ctrl+F3 to windows. :yes:

You need to be in a view mode where you have access to the Parallels Desktop Preferences

post-395-0-98525900-1385181102_thumb.png

On the Preferences Dialog choose Keyboard then click the + sign at the bottom to add a new keyboard short cut.

post-395-0-41220600-1385181203_thumb.png

Choose the keys you will press (from Mac keyboard) that will send Ctrl+F3 (to Windows VM)

post-395-0-83582700-1385181641_thumb.png

I didn't have much luck with Shift+Crtl+F3 :crybaby: but Shift+Ctrl+R works :clap:

post-395-0-37684600-1385181750_thumb.png

Hi Lorna

I haven't made much use of Ctrl+F3 for repeat values, but if P9 is like P6 you can configure a key combination that will send Ctrl+F3 to windows. :yes:

Thanks Glenn, but it turned out to be unnecessary. Must have been a temporary glitch. All the Fn keys I'm used to using are now fully accessible again after I'd had to restart windows, and thus TMG.

I've been able to switch the operation of function keys from special features to standard F keys 'on the fly' from the Mac System Preferences without rebooting the virtual machine. Maybe there has been a change in the way this works in newer versions of OS X and Parallels, I'm running 10.6.8 and Parallels 6. I like my F keys to do the special features which is the default setting.